Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

guns & flying

Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default guns & flying

I have heard that you must lock your case to check it on airlines & that you must not lock it so it can be viewed by security. Which is it? Also, what about ammunition? Do you put it in your case w/ your rifle or in seperate luggage?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:25 PM

Default RE: guns & flying

It must be locked. then you will be ******ed to the TSA counter where it will be inspected. You must unlock it there. They will inspect it to make sure that it is unloaded etc. Then they will put the lock back on it for you. Then the case will be checked into luggage

You ammo must not be in the same case as the weapon.

Do a search on this site. Someone posted all the requirements etc. on here a month or so ago.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Check out this link http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2179578&mpage=1&key=&#217957 8
Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Last Fall a group of us flew to sask Canada for a bear hunt. I had my 300 win mag and my bow.

From what I got off the tsa web page and how it worked for me ( its diffrent in diffrent airports )

1) have your firearm in a hard case/ locked , broke down and unloaded, you may have ammo in your gun case.
2) when you check in your luggage they will ask you to unlock and open your gun case, inspect to make sure you are unloaded ( I had my bolt out and my mag out )
3) they will place a signed doc that you showed them it was unloaded in your case.
4) ( this is where it depends on the airport ) I was ******ed to TSA by an airline employee,
5) TSA first x rayed the case, then asked me to open it, they hand inspected it and then closed it and required that I lock it.
6) airline employee and I walked back to check in and they checked the gun case with my other luggage.

On our return trip at step 4) we went to TSA, they x rayed, hand inspected, requested I lock it, and from there it went on a belt and into secured luggage area. it did not go back to the baggage check in counter.

the tsa website has all the info you will need on taking a rifle with you. If your going out of the country, make sure you get copies of the paper work you will need, prior to going. You'll want to fill everything out but don't sign it, untill you are in customs.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Spike

There is no requirement by TSA that ammo be packed in a separate case. They specifically state on their website that it may be packed in the same case as your firearm. However, individual airlines (and countries) havevarying requirements. Some permit ammo in the same case as firearms, others do not. You must check the requirements of the airlines you are using and of the countries into which you are flying.