Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need some info please help >

Need some info please help

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need some info please help

Old 08-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Default Need some info please help

I was wondering if anybody knew the typical time when elk start there rut in Colorado
Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Default RE: Need some info please help

the bulls should be coming into the pre-rut stage toward the end of the month, I cant say for sure cause i have never been out that early but by the 1st of sept i have had bulls screaming mad wanting to rock and roll with froth hanging from there mouth you have at least two good weeks of this give or take. If your hunting elk this is when you want to be there. before the rut when the cows want to be left alone and the bulls want to get busy. Don't let anyone tell you it's too hot or weather is keeping them from rutting. my first 2 bulls were shot within a 1/2 hour of noon and it was 89 degrees with the first and 93 with the second. both in the 1st week of sept. I have always seen pre-rut in the 1st archery season and by the 16-20th the cows start warming up to the bulls. I have called in dozens of bulls in the heat with love on the brain