Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Black Bear hunt.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Black Bear hunt.

Just booked a bear hunt in Idaho,for the middle of next May.This will be my first bear hunt,it will be over bait.Will,be using 7mm rem mag.I don't handload so,I'll be using factory lds,I plan on using Rem. in 175 grs or does someone have a suggestion for something better,also.Does anyone have any suggestions on what to bring(i.e...clothes,misc equip).

Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Black Bear hunt.

I hunted up Canyon Creek just outside of Kellogg for several years, over bait to me means tree stand. Is the 7mm scoped ? If so not overly desireable IMO, your shot/s will more than likely be close, too close for scope work. I like lever actions for tree stands, I have a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag that I load w/ 300gr. cast cores. I'd look at any of the lever actions in 44 mag (load heavy for caliber) or possibly 45-70 (Marlin Guide Gun). Camo, scent killer &cover scent are a must IMO as well, I go here http://www.otionsoap.com & get their "star anise" , I cut burlap strips & soak them in anise oil in a plastic sandwich bag & when I'm in my stand I hang the strips around on any branches I can reach just incase the scent killer is lacking. An empty semi large gator aid (wide mouth) jug incase you just can't hold it anymore. Be still & silent. Good Luck !
Old 08-06-2007, 10:42 PM

I Use to Guide up Caynon creek and The malard larkins, Big bears up there, who did you book your hunt with? Just as long as it isnt with A_W
Brett
Old 08-07-2007, 12:27 AM

My buddy used to live over on S. Division, so I'd head over a couple times a year & fork over my $$$$ at Ron's Sportsman, no guide needed.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 AM

Yes,my 7mm has a scope,but since I'm comfortable with using it on close shots here in Ky on deer,that part shouldn't be a problem.I booked thru Outdoors Connection,I can't remember who they said the actual guide was,but it was in the Salmon,Id area.I'll have to look at the paper work when I get home.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Spike

I've taken a lot if bears with a 7mm using 175gr CorLoks they do fine from a bait station. If it was me though I'd get rid of the scope while hunting from a stand.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 PM

Unfortunately my gun didn't come with iron sights and and don't know anyone with an extra gun I could borrow that does.But on low power I have no trouble using it at ranges less than 20yds.