Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice >

First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

I live in Chicago and am flying for the first time to do a hunting trip out west, in Nevada. Not a greenhorn. Been on about 20 trips out west in 15 years, but always driven. Got my flight & rental 4x4 already reserved. This will be different, and my first concern isbaggage. I am flying Delta which allows two bags @ 50# each, a 40# carry on, and $50 for an extra bag. This is amuzzleloader hunt so I am wondering the best way to incorporate that with one of my bags. Maybe box it with some clothing?

Then of course I will have to plan to get the cape/rack back. Will be donating my meat to a hunting partner. I am checking out Elko for outdoor stores and will get my food there of course. Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:32 AM

Default RE: First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

All firearms have to be in a seperate case that locks and no ammunition can be in the case with it. You must declare it as soon as you check in your luggage. Also you cant take your powder with you. My friend got his taken away by TSA the last time that we flew!
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM

check out the tsa site for info on taking a firearm on a plane.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

when you check it they are going to have you open the case, show its broken down and not loaded.
place an orange card signed by who witnessed it in the case, and have it locked.
( not depending on the airport ) someone from delta will take the gun case ( and you ) to TSA and they will x ray it and inspect it again. lock it and in some cases it goes to baggage from there, in other cases it goes back to the ticket counter ( all in the care of a airline employee and you in tow)
and gets checked with your other bags.

I dont recall what the regs were on muzzle loader as far as precussion caps, and powder, you may end up buying that at your location ( actually would suggest that )

also there is tsa approved locks. you keep the key, but the inspectors have a master that will open the locks and not destroy them. put those on your gun case. we got home from canada and when we opened up our bow and rifle cases, there was cards inside stating we had been spot inspected by TSA. they used their master keys to access our gear. ( in part because it was international ) but they do spot checks. if you lock it with a diffrent lock / they can and will cut them off to check your bags.

good luck on your hunt.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:47 AM

ok this is off of the TSA site on firearms.

[ul][*]All firearms must be declared to the air carrier during the ticket counter check-in process. [*]The firearm must be unloaded.[*]The firearm must be carried in a hard-sided container.[*]The container must be locked.[*]The passenger must provide the key or combination to the screener if it is necessary to open the container, and then remain present during screening to take back possession of the key after the container is cleared. [*]Any ammunition transported must be securely packed in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.[*]Firearm magazines/clips do not satisfy the packaging requirement unless they provide a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).[*]The ammunition may also be located in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it is properly packed as described above. [*]Black powder and percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage. [/ul]
Old 07-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

OK, Here's the big question. I am sure this 8 pound gun & case would count for one of my 2 allowed bags. Can I get a bigger case and fill it with other items such as spotting scope, binoculars, et. to attain my 50 pound allowance? Is there any other way to avoid getting shorted 42 pounds on my allowance?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems to me like you should have no trouble with weight limits on the trip to your hunting destination, if so, you're taking to much stuff/gear. Then for the trip home, look into shipping some gear UPS and haul meat/trophy portion with you.
When we went to AK. we had no problems meeting thesame weight requirements that you're looking at, without packing stuff inthe double rifle case/two rifles!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 PM

My carry-on is my hunting pack. I always carry my bino's, spotting scope, camara, two-way radios and gps etc. in this pack. Always in sight. I packed my gps in my bowcase one year and it came up missing??? [:@]
Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM

I believe you are correct, your rifle case will count as one of your two.

we did exactly what you are asking, we packed alot of gear in our cases.
I had my skb bow case, put hunting/fishing gear in with the bow.

my partner had an alum sided rifle case. all of our fishing rods and gear went in with the rifle.

1 carry on ( just like you did, my hunting backpack, with bino's gps and range finder.) rain grear and one change of cloths * just incase my suite case didn't show up.

1 large duffle bag with cloths and such.

pack once...wait a day unpack and leave 25% of what you packed the first day out.
do this till your down to what you are sure you HAVE to have. all the rest is dead weight.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Why not buy a stronge plastic box say 2.5 to 3 ft long by 2 ft wide and a foot deep. Pack your sleep bag, tent, foamie and other gear ands ship either UPS or air cargo and pick up on the other end. Or just pay for extra baggage. Either way probably no more than a 100. bucks
good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 11:03 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Right. See people I have no outfitter. I am going self guided. Big difference. I will need my small dome tent and sleeping bag, and all camp gear. This is not just clothing and weapon related stuff we are talking about here. No way I can afford to count my gun and case as one luggage item and expect to accomplish this as someone said.

Quick Reply: First Time Flying to Hunting Trip - Need Advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.