Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How to hunt elk??????

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Default RE: How to hunt elk??????

Rather than deal with some of the more obvious aspects (where, when, how), let's touch on something Alsatian mentioned; WHAT CAN GO WRONG.

Physical: There is a very real and dangerous condition some people get called Altitude sickness. Read all about it at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness#Signs_and_symptoms

Conditioning: You don't have to be a triathlete to hunt elk. But you will likely have to go up and down ridges to "see what's on the other side" and this can take it out of you. Especially at altitudes over 8000 feet. Archery elk is mostly in September and they are still at higher altitudes. 10,000+!

Company: Don't come out here alone. Three is bettter than two, and onewould beinsane. Even from camp, tell someone or leave a note as to the general area(s) you will be that morning/evening/day. Getting lost is very easy. You will be surrounded by millions of acres of the same exact trees/rocks/slopes or any other kind of reference point. I don't go anywhere without a compass. And before going, I know from my topo
map(s) exactly what direction I am heading out. I'm more old school than to use a GPS. Especially after having to search for a budy of mine who had one and knew how to use it. They don't always work down in deep forested draws or canyons I guess.

Weapon: You say you will be bow hunting. (There is a section here just on archery). Put all your pins on it! Practice and get good out to 60 yards. Practice shooting up hill and down . . . steep! You never want to take a long shot, but if your only opportunity at that 42X30 is at 57 yards, you're gonna take it because you have practiced it and are confident. Bring a range finder so you know exactly what you're shooting. Fixed blade broadhead only. The mechanicals don't penetrate addiquitly to impact a lethal blow. They loose too much enrgy while openning on impact. Remember, you are shooting an animal that is not much smaller than a horse!

Clothing: Much was covered on this. Wool is perfect, but doesn't come in camo patterns to my knowledge. September in the Rockies can bring you 3-4 or more weather changes . . . the same day! Around here, you dress "in layers". You'll be heading out with frost on the windshield, but by 9 - 10'clock, you may be down to a t-shirt. Especially hiking around the mountains. Then a shower comes through, and by morning . . . 1 1/2 of snow on the ground! Bring comfortable shoes that offer water resistance and some warmth. I don't care if they are your b'ball tennies, if they are comfortable, wear them. The elk won't mind. And your feet will love you.

Gear: In your day/fanny pack: first aid kit. Adequit amount of water. Snacks like granola bars, candy bars, or even a chunk of that steak you didn't eat last night. Matches that are kept dry. I bring a striker also. Good, sharp knives and a small stone. They don't have to be Jim Bowie huge, Ihelpeda guy field dress his elk a few years ago with nothing but his Leatherman's tool. Very sharp knife. But the thick hide and hair will knock the sharp off even the best Buck. Bring some kind of folding saw. It's a big breast plate, and handy when you need to quarter it out. I bring a small sceen of rope. You'll want to tie a leg up when field dressing. Bring your license. I know, it seems obvious, but get caught bringing a chunk of elkout of the woods without it, and you've ruined your whole trip. Game wardens around here can be nasty. Helpfull most of the time, but nasty when they need it. They carry side arms, and can confiscate not only your trophy, but your gun . . . even your truck! Get a roll of bright orange contractors tape. (I think that's what it's called.) Tie strips on trees as you exit the woods so you can go right back to your elk. I also bring one of those "aluminum foil blankets". You may have to stay overnight. (If you get lost . . . stay put!)

G.P.: Be aware that you may be required to have completed a hunter safety coarse and have to prove it. You should go to the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho Game & Fish websites and familiarize yourself with the hunting rules and regs. Each state does things differently. It may change your mind. I'd plan on hunting sometime in the middle two weeks of September. The weather's great (usually), the Aspen are turning colors, the elk are twitterpated and bugling their asses off. It's the best time of the year to be in the mountains.

One last personal note. I never have campfires during archery season. It gets in your clothes and makes you smell even more like danger. IMO
Also, the national average of elk success amongst licensed hunters is one every five years. Around here we say; "10% of the hunters get 90% of the elk". If you have to come home with an elk, go for a cow tag your first year.You have a better chance at harvesting, and gets you aquainted with elk hunting for the next time.

"I've got blisters on my fingers". (John Lennon)
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

Rather than deal with some of the more obvious aspects (where, when, how), let's touch on something Alsatian mentioned; WHAT CAN GO WRONG.

G.P.: Be aware that you may be required to have completed a hunter safety coarse and have to prove it. You should go to the Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho Game & Fish websites and familiarize yourself with the hunting rules and regs. Each state does things differently. "I've got blisters on my fingers". (John Lennon)
This is a good point that game4lunch brought up. I also live in Illinois and it is imperative that you have taken a hunter safety course! You must show proof when you purchase your tag, so don't forget to put the card in your wallet. It's a long drive to Colorado to find out when you get there that you don't have your card.

A point comes to mind on wilderness areas if that is your destination. Regulations state "no wheeled vehicles allowed into designated wilderness areas". This includes carts to wheel the meat out. It's either hike in or horseback! If you down an animal, and don't have pack animals then you better be in shape to pack the meat out. Some states, like Wyoming, it is state law for non-residents to have a resident guide you into wilderness areas. You stated that you will use an ATV, so that rules out designated "wilderness" areas. You can narrow down the areas you can hunt by going through a process of elimination like this.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Ok, now we have a place to start. These guys are all making good points, but we gotta go methodical like. If you are going to stay in motels and use an ATV, you need to find a migrating herd during a season when they'll be down where you can access them. Your competition will be those who camp right on the gravel roads in the area you will be hunting. This is the most competitive type of elk hunting with the lowest success ratios. If you get into a good migratory route at the right time, it can also be the easiest. Your next task will be to find a place that is accessible with an early wake up. I have a place in mind, but I ain't gonna put it on the airwaves. You could tag a monster elk there, with some luck and perseverance. Competition will be significant, but not likehunting at Kmart. PM me and I'll fill you in.

Once you have a target area and season in mind, you can learn alot from everyone here, but also get a good book on field dressing and caping a head, tracking, etc. Elk ain't deer. They got the legs of a horse and the feet of a goat. You can't run one down, and they cling to life like no other animal. Avoid taking running shots. If you spook up a herd and they don't stop, forget about the shot. You'll have another chance. Remember, if it was automatic, it wouldn't be any fun. Resign yourself to the fact that sometimes the elk win. If you earn your elk, you'll probably have time to take a nice rested shot. At least, you should be able to drop to one knee. This is the best hunting in the world. Sometimes, I don't even chamber a round on the first day. I usually don't hunt with a round in the chamber unless I'm pushing a ridge or waiting on a stand. Immediately unchamber the round when you'removing in the open.Spot and stalkisone of the best ways to hunt elk if you're in a good place for that.Please don't chamber a round until you're getting close to the elk on even ground.In my experience, I'm usually climbing some steep stuff at the end of my stalk, running to stay downwind or tohead off a moving herd. Empty chambers are best for you AND your partner. Make sure you both have the rules down pat before you go.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elk hunting out West in the mountains is so much different from other big game hunting back in IL, it would be difficult to know where to begin. I would seriously suggest you find someone who has hunted Elk for a number of years successfully, knows their habits, how to find and get close at least the first couple hunts.
I too would suggest you consider a cow Elk hunt for several years to learn and maybe someday hunt your big bull. Especially since you're likely going to be hunting public.
No articles or suggestions on a forum are going to fully prepare you for what you're going to have to do to successfully find and harvest an Elk.
But just to give you a small taste, read June/July 2007 Outdoor Life articles "Elk on Your Own" and "High Country Survival". You better go prepared mentally, physcially, equipment and respect that many things including the mountains and weather there can cause you very serious problems. Don't take it lightly.
Be prepared to walk, pack and climb up and down ridges further and harder than you've ever imagined. You need to be where you have reason to believe Elk will be at first light, spotting and stalking all day til dark. If you are fortunate to harvest an Elk, have some plans ahead of time how you're going to keep the meat fresh and out even if your a number of miles in on foot, especially since with bow you're most likely hunting earlier. I think that is where your guides and/or experienced hunter you need to find will be invaluable, as well.
I know there are many on this site who have much more experience and knowledge of this than I do and can share more. I gaurantee if you go into this it'll open your eyes to experiences you've never seen before and you'll learn more new things everytime you go.
Good luck and stay safe.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Best advice yet. Go with an experienced buddy. I don't know about the cow tag thing. Depends on when you go. I hunt a late September, early October hunt. Bulls are easy to locate and you can earn your stripes trying to get in on them. Cows are hard to find during that period unless you find them all. Once the herds break up, cows are easier to hunt as they will be on the move.

Chances are, if you ain't going to put in for a tag, you'll be find hunting cows because early hunts are usually meanspecial drawings.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Spike

Very interesting post. I too am going on my first elk hunt this year. Look out Montrose! Anyway, any other issues would be good to know. Started training a few weeks ago. Going 2nd week in October. Four of us going. One been there, One been to Wyoming and two flatlanders. I have been looking through old boyscout manuals on compasses. Got a GPS, Rifle shooting getting within 1 sq ft at 250 yards.

I read about the four wheeler thing. We are packing in (with outfitters help) and are going to be in at least 1/2 day before camp. I didn't think 4-wheelers were possible in most areas. I'm sure have other questions. Sorry for hijacking thread, but wanted to start dialogue.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:06 PM

"game4lunch" noted he never has a campfire due to the smell. I have to disagree with this. I always bask in the campfire scent. Elk smell fire all the time. Although they associate it with danger, they will be alot less spooked smelling smoke than smelling copenhagen, cheetos and other human funk. I look at it like a natural cover scent and it doesent really matter because if you get up wind of an elk your done anyway. So IMO, enjoy your comradery around the campfire. I dont think an elk hunt would be complete without the fire.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM

Can 4 wheelers be used in the Colordao Units?
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

Check the Colorado Game and Fish website, most states require a OHV tag issued by the Forestry Dept, DMV, or the states tourist stations. The ATV needs to have a headlight, taillight and a spark-arrestor muffler. Most states will honor out-of-state OHV tags as long as they are up to date.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:20 PM

Fig. out where your going first then get the lay of the land. start with likely spots and do lots of scouting

Quick Reply: How to hunt elk??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.