Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

The Nuge Factor

Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Nuge Factor

This is a long one, but I feel all hunters need to take this short amount of time in your life to read this. I'm positive it will change the way you think about the unnecessary word, "ethical."

I've yet to see a customer enter a bank with a sign hanging around his neck that states, "Have No Fear, I'm Not A Bank Robber." Businessmen, childcare, emplyees, priests, welders, bakers, auto mechanics, teachers, cops, volunteers, and everyone in between also do not belabor the point that they are ethical people. We expect them to be ethical, and of course the vast majority of them are. No call for warnings, apologies or excuse-making necessary, thank you.

Granted, there are unethical scumbagsin every proffessional and recreational pursuit, but they are the extreme lunatic fringe minority. For any group of people to constantly focus on promoting their ethical standards is, in my opinion, cause for suspicion and scrutiny. This is exactly the reason why the hunting community should tone down the ethical message that is so often trumpted on hunting television shows and in articles.

I don't know an unethical hunter. Never met one, and I've hunted with and/or guided thousands of hunters over the past fifty or so years. Of course I've heard of them from the Dan Rather, culture-war mongrels in the media who live to expose the most egregious conduct each hunting season. That being said, everywhere I travel, I am approached by people and families of imaginable description, smiling and excitedly expressing enjoyment of my hardcore Spirit of the Wild hunting TV show, my prohunting and progun books, articles and interviews across the land. I travel constantly and have never had a negative comment. And I'm an absolutist. You'll never hear an apology from me for my hunting lifestyle.
The overtly cautious and oftentimes apologetic tone that so many in the hunting community and industry have adopted sickens me. It's almost as if the contest to see which host or writer can claim to be the world's most ethical hunter, which does nothing but cast a dark cloud over the entire hunting community as if "ethical" is a rarity and must be emphasized. My radar is on full alert when I hear someone proclaiming to be ethical--even if the person is ethical. Ethical behavior is still expected where I live, work and play. There is no need to claim on it.

The reason some in the hunting community have adopted this wrong-headed approach of constantly talking about hunting ethics is that they believe it will take some of the sting out of the anit-hunting numbnut's morally and ethically bankrupt ideological vacuity. These fellow hunters couldn't be more wrong in their approach to portraying hunting. Their very well intentioned approach puts hunters on the defensive.

Non-hunters expect and believe hunters to be responsible and ethical folks just as they don't expect the local cop to take bribes. Non-hunters know that hunters don't intentionally inflict undue pain and suffering on critters.
Only a sick and twisted demonic monster would do such a thing. They are not average hunters.

So why bring undue and unwarranted suspicion to an honorable community that has nothing to hide? It literally baffles me. If the guys who consistently talk about hunting ethics believe for a second that uplifting the image of hunting and attracting new hunters, they are dead wrong.
I'm not falling into this ethical hunting morass. The more we talk about it, the more we become bogged down in the murky mud of suspicion. It immediately puts hunters on the defensive when we have nothing to be defensive about. Instead of constantly worrying if our halo is polished bright enough to please everyone, the path we need to take is to constantly promote how much fun hunting is and how exciting hunting can be. This is why my award winning Spirit of the Wild television program focuses on the fun factor. Have you noticed that?

If the subject turns to ethics by non-hunters, I first tell them hunters are ethical for the simple reason that they buy a hunting license. I choose to educate them that it was hunters who demanded an end to the wholesale market slaughter of game. I tell them that hunters dollars are used to sustain both game and non-game alike, including songbirds. I then tell them that it would be highly unethical for us not to hunt, as game would quickly overpopulate and create any number of environmental disasters for both fauna and flora. Clearly, it is this hands-on conservation connection with the good earth through hunting, fishing and trapping that brings balance each year and is integral to sustaining realworld biodiversity. These are the standard ethics of everyone I hunt with and know. None of us bother mentioning it. We simply live it and exude it.

America's sporters must refocus our message on the fun factor of hunting. It is the ultimate extreme sport. Skateboarding, windsurfing and skiing will never compare with outwitting a mature whitetail buck, calling in an omniscient wild turkey, or blasting dive-bombing, supersonic ducks out of the sky. There is no other sport or recreational pursuit that can compare with the goosebump thrillride of an up close and personal hunting adventure. Stare a black bear in the eyes and tell me thats not heart-pounding excitement. I couldn't be more convinced this message is the missing link in promoting hunting.

Of course hunters are ethical. There is no reason whatsoever to even discuss such a simple truism. No amount of yammering about hunting ethics is going to attract new people to the hunting fold or convince poeple to the hunting fold or convince people that hunters are better than anti-hunters. Speaking about hunting ethics to the non-hunting community does more harm than good. Nobodys asking.
No one would be attracted to NASCAR if the drivers constantly spoke about ethical racing habits. People watch NASCAR because it is fun to watch cars speed around the track at 200 mph. Just as people watch NASCAR because racing is exciting, people watch hunting shows to witness exciting hunting adventures, not to get a lesson on how ethical hunters are when there is absolutely no need to discuss it.
Hunters are the good guys. We don't need to walk around with figurative signs around our necks that say, "I'm an ethical hunter." Thats the wrong approach. My sign says hunting is a ball of exciting fun. Please join me in my crusade to spread that good word. No apologies.
Hunting Illustrated, June/July 2005
By Ted Nugent

I agree with Ted's MAIN ARGUEMENT.Do you? Everyone feelfree to voice your opinion.
*edited because I said I agree with mr.nugent 100%. I have caught about three or four things that I disagree with.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Default RE: The Nuge Factor

No, I don't agree 100%. I find it a little unbelievable that he says he has never met an unethical hunter.

He has been around thousands of other hunters and yet has never met even ONE unethical hunter?? Personally, I have met both unethical hunters and fishermen. I am not judging them based on my ethics, they are downright lawbreakers, doesn't that make them unethical? I think the Nuge needs to be a little more realistic.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

And you're right. There are many lawbreakers and sickos out there, and he probably has met one. And I know I have. So maybe I don't agree with Ted 100%, more like 99%.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:12 PM

i have met unethical hunters by my standards, but maybe not by others.
as he said they are ethical if they buy a license.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Spike

The "nuge" is selling.......As far as the "unehtical" hunter....well what is that exactly? Are you speaking of the law breaking hunter, or is it the guy that is out drinking beers and shooting things for fun? People vary a bunch on this one....for me, the guy that isn't whole if he doesn't get a kill is the one that is missing the boat. Hunting is or should be all about that, HUNTING....the shooting part should be just as quick as can be made possible.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys:
If a hunter does something unethical does that not make him then a poacher? At which time he forfeits his right to call himself a hunter. Sorry guys just had to chime in.
Hey, how bout the Nuge. Not sure what kind of guy he really is, never met him. However, what a brilliant shining example of a warrior for the second ammmendment and the american way. Go Ted. Ted for president!
Old 07-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ted needs to get real on SOME parts in this, but his main arguement has me convined. We don't need to have the right to hunt because we are "ethical." This is just a word to defend the hunting world when we have nothing to defend ourselves about.

Chris
Old 07-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

I understand the "spirit" of what Ted is trying to say. (No pun intended) But the one thing that stands out in my mind is this. The othergroups that Ted mentions, the police officers,the priests, the teachers,etc are socially established positions and activities held in all of our communities and are respected by the community as a whole. Like Ted said there are bad apples in every profession and recreational pursuit but I think the idea of hunting has not been socially accepted nor cast out. A vast majority of the American public is still on the fence about the issue. The stance Ted is taking is noble, strong, and confident however it could back fire if we aren't careful.

Many of the reasons for Americans being on the fence about hunting is the "unethical" stories that they hear. To counter that they need to hear that we, as a hunting fraternity, are very concerned about being ethical. Then and only then will we convince them that we are in fact ethical. They need to be overwhelmed with our "ethicalness" if you will, to drown out thejunk the media conjurs up.

Whether we like it or not our hunting future is a political battle. Many hunters, myself included, do not like politics or the game politicians play. However if we want to win the game we have to know how to play the game. And since our hunting future will be determined on the political battlefield then many of our hunting shows, messages, and printed articles may sound likewe are campaigning. They sound like that because we are. We are campaigning to convince the American public that they can feel safe with hunters in the woods. We are campaigning to convince the American public that we are concerned with a quick and clean harvest of the animals we hunt. That we do not take pleasure in killing an animal just to see something die andthat we eat what we harvest. That we are conservationists as well as hunters who care about the natural world. That hunting is very healthy for the species we hunt and for their future when managed properly. That we believe poaching is wrong and we believe in obeying all laws all the time. I read on one websitewhere hunters were referred to as "Fudds" as in Elmer Fudd. Is this what we want the public to continue to think about us? We are still considered "Rednecks" and "beer drinking bafoons with guns" by many in our own communities. Nothing could be further from the truth and that's the message we are trying to get out.

The hunting community was scrutinized long before we started talking about ethics. Talking about ethics is a response to the scrutiny, not the other way around. I believe that is why hunting shows and many articles have that "ethical" overtone to it. Once hunting is held with the same acceptance in the American publics eye as a priest, a teacher, even as a person walking into a bank without being considered a threat to others then we can heed Ted's advice as stated above.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:39 PM

rather_be_huntin, Excellent post. That was well thought out, well written, and I believe right on the money.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Uncle Ted is the man!

Quick Reply: The Nuge Factor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.