Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunts

Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Elk Hunts

I've been hunting for about 5 years now and i have always wanted to elk hunt. I was wondering if your guys could point me towards some good information sources as far as using a guide or DOY, which states to hunt, elk movement and behavior, and anything else there is. I will probably be using a compound bow and if there is any special stalking tactics. Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunts

It isn't recommended for most beginner DIY hunters to use a bow, if you want to harvest an elk, it's recommended to start with a rifle hunt.

Popular beginners places for elk are Colorado, and Wyoming, except Wyoming is draw tags, but if you apply a year or two in advance, you might draw.

I heard people recommend Jim Zumbo's book "Hunt Elk" for tips, so if you want some reference book, I guess that would be worth looking into.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:57 PM

I agree with younggun.
This will be my first year elk hunting, but have pretty much lived in Utah or Colorado my entire life and seen more than a few elk, etc.

People I know that have hunted all three states like all three. Northern Arizona and New Mexico can also be great places to hunt elk. I can't say how other states fair, but Utah seems to have a pretty decent success rate in terms of harvest numbers.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:22 PM

Unless you go to a state that has non-resident licenses like Colorado, your choises are few. Most elk licenses are done on a drawing basis. Here in Wyoming, non-residents apply in January.

Hunting with a bow is fine. Bow season in the Rockies is the absolute best time of the year. Fewer hunters, cooler temps, elk bugleing, aspen turning colors. . . nothing finer!

As far as tactics, it takes a lifetime to figure elk out. And still fool you. Old timers will tell you, "Elk are where you find them." (Smart asses.)
Cow and bull calling is popular. Even if it doesn't bring 'em in, it can at least help locate them. I like the "run and gun" method. I'll give a couple bugles, wait for a response, if I don't get one I move. (30 minute wait). Then do it again. When I get a response, then I move in. Using the cow call tocalm themandconceal my presense and maybe bring in big boy. All of this is on foot. And you need to be in good shape. Up & down mountains at 8 - 10,000 feet above sea level can not only take it toll on your body, feet and lungs, but it can make you physically sick. Called altitude sickness.
Best advice, don't come alone, watch every instructional video and read every book you can, practice for a year on your calls, hire a DIY outfitter, and plan on hunting next year.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Idaho is over the counter.
Brett
Old 07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last yr. was my first ever Elk Hunt. I was in the same shoes you are. But I researched my future Elk hunt for almost 3yrs. I talked to friends, and hunters that'd been there. So I had a good idea what I wanted to do, and what was best for my first time. But I'm far from a expert, but can probably help you some. The location was easy, Colorado all the way. That state far exceeds all in Elk population.1st off you have to decide what type hunt you want to experience. Being a avid bowhunter, and the Elk rut starts mid Sept. I wanted to experience bugling, and calling them in. The Elk rut. So doing a archery hunt was thebest choice. Sitting on a watch all day waiting for someone to push a bull my way, wasn't what I wanted to experience. Of courseknowing little about Elk, and how to go after them. They're totally different from whitetails, and not knowing anyone in Colorado, or any fellow hunters who'd been there going again soon. It was also obvious I'd have to do a fully guided hunt. Colorado also has OTC archery Elk tags, and you can purchase a either sex tag as well. From there I had to find a good guide service. There's are 1,000's in Colorado. I was able to narrow that down by TV hunting shows, local sporting shows, my state club NY Bowhunters. My first trip was awesome, and everything I hoped for. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions I'll be glad to help more if I can.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunting on your first time DIY would be a great learning exerience. Just figure maybe a 10% chance of getting a shooting opportunity, not neccesarily of coming back with an elk. And I would also highly recommend to shoot the first legal elk you see, bull or cow, itmay very wellbe your only chance.

If you still want to go during September, then I recommend a cow muzzleloading tag. There might even be a few left over. Otherwise you would have to apply for one next spring. Gets you in the woods during the archery season with a higher chance of success, and you will learn the country for next year. Believe me, if you kill a cow elk, you will be honored and in awe at taking such a creature. It will be a great experience.

Secrets: Hunt harder and longer (leave before daylight and come back in the dark) and further from roads than others are willing to do. And havea plan for packing 500# of meat out on your back. If you see a place that you say: "Man, I wouldn't want to pack an elk out of there", you are close to finding a good place to hunt! If you aren't willing to do that, then save up and do a "tresspass" private land hunt, usually $1000-2000. Decent guided hunts run $3000-4000.

And know your limitations and set limits before you go. I had a hard max range of 40 yards for an elk even though I practice out to 60. Had a 6x6 at 47 yards and waited for him to move closer last time I bowhunted. Wind swirled and so did the elk!

Also, don't leave camp without a daypack with a survival kit that will get you through a night if need be.Expect the best, but plan for theworst. Carry extra batteries for your flashlight. We carry the combo walkie talkie/GPS units. These units eat batteries, so take extra for them too. Even if by yourself, there will be others in the woods with walkie talkies, so you can probably reach someone if you get into trouble.

Watch out, you will get addicted.