Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big game calibers

Old 07-06-2007, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Big game calibers

I have a 30-06 for small critters and a .338 Ultra mag for large critters. I dont like the short mags. If your going to go magnum then get a magnum. Not an almost magnum.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

The 300 wsm shoots faster and hits harder then a 300 win mag its just makes for a shorter action. Check out the ballistics. So that would be a magnum not an almost magnum. Im not 100% with the 325wsm but like i said i have heard good things. But yes the remington ultra mags are nice and more potent then winchester short mags and are definately a no questions asked magnum.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

.325 WSM and the 7mm WSM are total failures.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun308

How about some data to back that up or is it just your 16 years of experience on this earth that you are speaking from?

I personally own .243WSSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM. Getting ready to buy a .25 WSSM and have shot them all a whole bunch of times.

My favorite of the bunch is the .325 WSM. It shoots flat, and has very good ballistics. Kinetic energy equal to a .338 with less recoil and a lighter gun with a shorter action.

The WSM and WSSM are both new technology rifles that were based on the original short action theories. They came up with the .308 based upon the .30-06. They wanted a more reliable round that would chamber better, shoot flatter, and work off of a shorter action stroke which in turn accounts for higher rounds per second on target. The new WSM and WSSM's are no different equal, or in many cases better, velocities and knock down power with less powder, less recoil, less rifle weight, shorter action length, and less overall rifle length.

In my opinion the person asking the question would be served just fine from either the .325 WSM or the .338 Win Mag.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Waterproof

ORIGINAL: younggun308

How about some data to back that up or is it just your 16 years of experience on this earth that you are speaking from?

I personally own .243WSSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, 325 WSM. Getting ready to buy a .25 WSSM and have shot them all a whole bunch of times.

My favorite of the bunch is the .325 WSM. It shoots flat, and has very good ballistics. Kinetic energy equal to a .338 with less recoil and a lighter gun with a shorter action.

The WSM and WSSM are both new technology rifles that were based on the original short action theories. They came up with the .308 based upon the .30-06. They wanted a more reliable round that would chamber better, shoot flatter, and work off of a shorter action stroke which in turn accounts for higher rounds per second on target. The new WSM and WSSM's are no different equal, or in many cases better, velocities and knock down power with less powder, less recoil, less rifle weight, shorter action length, and less overall rifle length.

In my opinion the person asking the question would be served just fine from either the .325 WSM or the .338 Win Mag.
You have no idea what you are talking about. The 7mm WSM and .325 WSM are flopping dismally in the market place, anybody with a grain of intelligence can see that. The WSM's are in no way superior to their long action counterparts, sans the .270 WSM, it seems that you are speaking from a Winchester catalog, and not from actual experience.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

They came up with the .308 based upon the .30-06. They wanted a more reliable round that would chamber better, shoot flatter, and work off of a shorter action stroke which in turn accounts for higher rounds per second on target.
I think they need to go back to the drawing boards if they wanted the .308 to shoot flatter than the .30-06...
Old 07-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Guess I read different ballistics data then you guys do.

Although I think the 7mm WSM is not selling like they hoped I don't see the other WSM's selling that bad at all. The .270 ISN'T the only short mag that performs better then it's parent cartridge.

Post up your ballastic information with documentation and I can post mine.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:37 PM

Guess I read different ballistics data then you guys do.

Although I think the 7mm WSM is not selling like they hoped I don't see the other WSM's selling that bad at all. The .270 ISN'T the only short mag that performs better then it's parent cartridge.

Post up your ballastic information with documentation and I can post mine.
With factory ammo, the WSM's are loaded to a higher pressure then the long action magnums, while the long action magnums are down-loaded just a tad. However, with handloads, the long action magnums can have a 100-200 FPS advantage with heavier bullets, this goes against your claim that the WSM's are superior to their long action brethren. Even with factory ammo, the WSM's show no distinct advantage. Here is proof http://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx?act=choose&firearm=1&s1=1
Old 07-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Beartooth you prove nothing when you compare factory loads to handloads. Either compares factory to factory or hand to hand. That is like saying an aftermarket tricked out Ruger shoots better then a factory Remington Police rifle so therefore it is the better choice off the shelf.

If it is based upon your opinion then say in your opinion. However don't try to pass it off as a fact and then post a ballistics chart from Remington that only lists two of the Short Mag calibers in it anyway.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Beartooth you prove nothing when you compare factory loads to handloads.

He's not comparing handloads to factory, he's comaparing pressure in the cartridges, since the ammo companies load the long-action magnums down, and load the WSM's up, they probably do that to sell more WSM's, to make them normal cartridges, and not have a trace of wildcat in them.
They're doing it intentionally.

Quick Reply: Big game calibers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.