Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Anyone have a pacemaker?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone have a pacemaker?

Since this is the biggest hunting forum on the web I thought I would ask a personal question. How many hunters have a pacemaker and does it hinder your hunting?

I had a pacemaker installed on Valentines Day this year and have been spending my time getting used to it. I feel better now that I have it but I haven’t had a chance to go hunting and am concerned how well I’ll handle it. I got lucky and drew 2 elk tags this year and am really looking forward to getting out and about. I’m going to the gym several times per week and that seems to be going good, but I’m wondering about how hunting at 8,000 to 10,000 ft will affect me. I had three hunts (2 elk and 1 deer) last year the ranged between 2,000 and 10,000 ft before I found out I needed a pacer and I had Zero problems before the pacer. Any replies would be really appreciated.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone have a pacemaker?

AZ - I personally do not have a pacemaker. However, my father-in-law has had one for about 3 years now. He has slowed down a bit - he's 68, but last year we went to Montana and hunted at about 7000 feet and as long as we paced ourselves he was fine. I've hunted with him for about 12 years now and he's still just as eager to get out there and get that big one as ever! I'd think if you are going to the gym and working out, you will be fine on your elk hunts as long as you realize your limits and stop to catch your breath if needed.

Good luck on that getting that Bull!!!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone have a pacemaker?

PA,

Thanks for the info...I'm only 50 and the pacer was the last thing I thought ai would have had to have. I had Prostate Cancer 2 years ago and this came as a greaterr shock than that did. Hopefully all will go well and I'm getting ready as best as I can for the hunting season.

Barry