Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bear problems! help!

Old 06-08-2007, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear problems! help!

OK. This is probably in the wrong forum but I didn't know which one to put it in.

I'm having problems w/ a bear. It's knocked my tripod feeder over twice in 4 days. One time there was roughly 200 pounds of corn in it. I have pictures of him before and after both times. little crap head! My feeder is now broken! I hope he (she?) is happy.

My question is, what's the easiest way to get rid of it? I think there's only one and it's the only bear I've seen since I bought the property in November.

I'd take up bear hunting but my wife and kids absolutely will not eat the meat.

Any advice would help. I'm taking the feeder off my property until winter, hopefully that will do that trick.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear problems! help!

getting rid of the food source should make it go away. as long as the food is there, the bugger will keep coming back!!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:24 PM

Right now you don't have a deer feeder, you have a bear feeder. You have to get rid of the food so the bear moves on. If you have one bear, you will probably have more. Good luck! MV out
Old 06-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Let's see . . . you're in MN . . . try calling your Game & Fish or Fish & Game or whatever it's called and see if they, or know someone who, could trap and remove (relocate) the bear. Sometimes a University has biology departments that might be of some help.

I know this because two years ago, after months of scouting, preperation, filing proper baiting forms with our G&F, I find the perfect spot for bear.
Only to find out that the University had just been in the area trapping and relocating bears!!!!!!

Or you can shoot it for the rug.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Spike

There is a fairly easy and enjoyable solution to your problem.Fill the feeder with food, wait until the bear comes in, shoot him, skin him, and donate the meat to the local food bank. Even though your wife hates bear meat there are plenty of starving folks that would love to have bear ham on their plate.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stop putting out feed in the Spring each year (that's either deer and/or bird) before bears start out of their dens (i.e. late Mar. / early Apr.).
Hold off on putting any more out until at least grass is greened up and other food bears feed on is plentiful. Some years and some bears you may have to hold off until fall again. Deer and birds can get along fine in the Spring / Summer.
No Spring bear hunting in MN, to the last post.
DNR rarely live traps and moves these types of "problem bears". Because it's really the problem with people putting food / garbage out. They'll tell you to stop putting food out. Only if they're getting into campgrounds and such might they live trap them. But then where would you have them moved to? Into someone else's territory (i.e. other bears' and people)? Bears will travel back to food sources of 30-40 miles in a couple days often even when they are moved. So, better just cut out the feeding for now.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Kill the bear, and share the meat with me! PM me.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Justice4all

There is a fairly easy and enjoyable solution to your problem.Fill the feeder with food, wait until the bear comes in, shoot him, skin him, and donate the meat to the local food bank. Even though your wife hates bear meat there are plenty of starving folks that would love to have bear ham on their plate.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's no Spring bear season in MN.

Go back to plan "A", put the feeder away. Rogers in also right in close to the Twin Cities. So, I don't know if you can hunt bears there. It's sort of out of their normal range. Though I know an occasional Black Bear or even Moose does wander down that far or even into south central MN.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:18 AM

You need your bow an arrow and a broadhead.....And a friend who eats bear......lol wackem stackem and packem
Brett

Quick Reply: Bear problems! help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.