Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Weight limits on plane

Old 05-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weight limits on plane

A friend and I are going Caribou hunting this fall with Mirage in Quebec. We are limited to 60 lbs of gear each and we were hoping to take a rifle and bow each.

I don't own a double bow or double rifle case so I borrowed them from friends. I can't believe how heavy they are!!!

Does anyone out there have an experience of their own they can share as far as packing for a trip like this goes? I'm starting to think that we are going to have to leave 1/2 of our weapons at home.

I would be OK with hunting with a rifle only....but I would sure like to chase them with my bow also.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2007, 08:38 AM
Spike

Default RE: Weight limits on plane

Hi,
I went through the same thing last year on our Quebec hunt. I used a double bow case and brought a small rifle as well as my bow. Even though the case was not meant for a rifle It worked well. I used socks ,shirts ,and other soft stuff to protect my rifle. Also I bought a very cheep light weight sleeping bag instead of my heavy good one. All the camps have heat so you wont get cold. Also get your self a light weight hunting jacket with lots of cargo pockets. You can stuff your pockets full of all your heaver stuff for the plane ride. You can also wear your binos around your neck while on the plane. This will reduce your weight significantly. Another thing I would do is to attatch something to your pack and duffel bag you will recognize when they unload all your bags. I covered my stuf with Union stickers. If you need any other info email [email protected]
Old 05-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a great variation in weights of double cases,with the molded plastic one made by Pelican(also sold by browning and others) being much heavier than some of the quality aluminum cases.If weight is that critical,you may want to shop around more.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

I went last year with Tuttulik Outfitters. Heres some hints, take them or leave them.

Take your bows and share a rifle. You will only need one gun with the two of you just split the weight up. If you take the gun give some of your stuff to your buddy. You can share a gun with no problems.

Look at what else you guys are bringing to make sure you dont need two of the same thing.

Wear your hunting boots, and coat on the plane ride up. Put your binos, and some odds and ends in your pockets. You can even wear your hunting pants etc. if needed.

As suggested above look at different cases. We drove to Montreal and then flew from there up to camp. We used the hard plastic cases due to the whole plane being just hunters. They took good care of our bows and didnt have a problem. If your flying commercial up then I would make sure you have a good quality case.

You should have no problems with the weight limit with proper planning.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:10 AM

Are these weight limits for commercial planes or private planes, or both? I've enever flown anywhere to hunt, so I have never heard of any of this. Can anyone clue me in?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

The weight restriction will be on the plane that takes us from the lodge to the camp. My guess is it will be a float plane.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Spike

Call the outfitter. Sharing a gun is an idea. I am going with Ungava this year and they made sure to remind us that the float plane allows the guns / bows to be in soft-sided cases. I am betting that you may have an upcharge to get the gear to the transfer point, but can manage a little better with soft cases. Boots and jacket is a good idea.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check with the outfitter and ask them for a list of "must haves". They do this several times a year for a variety of different people so they will know what you do need and what you don't.

Get everything packed up that you want to take to the camp. Weigh it on an accurate scale and if over weight you can start going through it all and deciding on what you really need and what you can do without.

Ask the outfitterif you can ship the guns and/ or bows to them and maybe they can pre-fly them in to camp for you when they go to pick up the clients that are there before you when the plane is empty. If needed you can have them shipped back also.