Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou in Quebec? Where?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Caribou in Quebec? Where?

I will need to be in Canada between Montreal and Quebec city this fall around early September. How far north would I need to travel around that time to get in a Caribou bow hunt where I would see a lot of animals? Anyone have an outfitter they have used? Thanks.
Dandbuck
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou in Quebec? Where?

I bow hunt caribou with an outfitter out of Schefferville, which can only be reached by plane or train (at least I think). The name of the outfitter is Norpaq Adventures (http://www.norpaq.com) I have nothing but good things to say about them. They have always treated us extremely well.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Spike

We hunted with Jack Hume Adventures out of Shefferville last year. We were supposed to get a 7 days ofhunting. We were flown to a camp that had four hunters already there. My partner and I hunted 4 1/2 days with out seeing any animals. After several days of asking to be moved they sent in a plane and flew us 150 miles North to another camp that had 6 hunters already there. We had no place for our gear and no place to sleep other than the floor. The other 6 hunters had all filled up in the first two days.We were told we would had that afternoon to hunt and then we would be flown out the following morning. We each did manage to get our animals that afternoon, but it was not much fun packing out 4 animals in such a short time. We also had purchased a Bear tag and fishing licences and wanted to Spend our last day fisking and trying to fill the Bear tag. When our plane flew in to pick us up it had a film crew from the Mens Channel aboard. I guess thats why we didnt get our full hunt. I would not recomend this outfitter
Old 05-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

In my opinion, that is not the best time to go Caribou hunting. The trophy bulls are going to be scattered about, and will still be in velvet. The meat is not as good as it is in the winter. You would be very lucky to see the migration... typically it's a bit later; but you never know.

As already stated, the outfitters run out of Schefferville which can either be accessed by Plane or Train.

You will be in Quebec during a very good time for duck and goose hunting though. Goose season typically opens in fields the first week of September. Very little migration, but there will be a few fields full of resident geese. Duck season opens a little later in the month. Water bodies will be full and you, geographically, will be in the heart of it.

Cheers,

M
Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, so the area I will be in is not close enough to even consider a drive to hunt? Either way i would be looking at a fly in outfitter hunt in the $4000 range??
Thanks for the info guys.
Dandbuck
Old 05-27-2007, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

I am hunting with Tuttulik Outfitters in September in Quebec. It is a fly-in hunt from Montreal and a bit more than what you want to spend, not much though. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I have met one of their agents face to face and the story did not change. PM me for more info. I would suggest that you act quickly though. I have already made my last payment....

Old 05-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Yep having withdrawls myself. Went with Tuttulik last year with a group I put together and it was incredible.

If you need to ask any questions feel free to shoot me a email.

Don
[email protected]
Old 05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

My best friend used this outfitter 2 years ago. They had a great time, and each of them bagged 2 bulls each. He is returning again this year for another hunt. I have another friend who is leaving in the next couple of weeks, to use the same outfitter for a sping bear hunt.

www.aubergecanadaventure.com/english.htm
Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dandbuck...I've been chasing caribou around the continent since '89 and I've been kicking around these hunting forums for as long as they have existed, so I like to think that I've learned a few things...

There are lots of Quebec caribou outfitters...Some are honest and dependable, and many are not...I've run into a LOT of unhappy, disappointed hunters returning from Quebec caribou hunts...

Although I'm sure there are many other honest, reputable outfits up there, two names that keep appearing are Tuttilick and Jack Hume... I have never heard ANY negative feedback on Tuttilick, and the above poster poster is as close to a negative post as I have ever heard on Hume...Keep in mind that while I don't deny the above poster might have issues, he and his partner DID tag out, after the outfitter moved him, probably at considerable effort and expense to himself..... I personally have hunted with Hume and consider his operation first rate, certainly one of the very best...I have a friend who has hunted with Hume 9 times, and has always done well..That's a pretty good endorsement..

Go the first week of September with either Tuttilick or JHA, and chances are you will have an excellent hunt...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Guys for all the advice. I was hoping that I would be in an area that was within driving distance of a hunt. It seems that is not the case. Assuming my job gets done in a timely fashion, I may be able to work on the hunt, but I will not know if the job is going good or bad til I'm there in September.
Dandbuck

Quick Reply: Caribou in Quebec? Where?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.