Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Hunting

Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Big Game Hunting

With everyone buying up the magnums, the good old standard calibers might be on sale.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:10 PM

Good point James B!
Just pick up a Winchester 30-30 for around $250.00 and spend the rest on getting there!
More big game has been taken by either the 30-30 or '06 than any other caliber over history.
I still take mine for walks in the woods.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....If you could have only one rifle and scope combo to hunt all North American Big Game from Texas to Alaska, what Cal., model, and scope would be your choice? Your budget is limited to $1000 total...."
With that kind of variety of mission, I see no option than to equip for the Alaskan Brownie and then figure it will handle the rest just fine....

Used CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375H&H and a Leupold scope.
================================================== ==

Original Post:
"....to hunt all North American Big Game from Texas to Alaska
"....Just pick up a Winchester 30-30 for around $250.00 and spend the rest on getting there!"
For Alaskan Brownies?..... I think you'd best put the left over $750 into getting back.... as in a MedJet insurance policy.

One other thing in using a 30-30 for the Great Bears, consider taking off the front sight on the 30-30 and filethe barrelsmooth and keepthe muzzlewell oiled.
================================================== ==

One other thing,one rifle is okay for a local deer patch hunt and it's okay to specify for the $1,000 theoretical exercise; however the two don't really go together. If I'm going to be travelling through out North America after the full cross section of game, then I'd have a back up rifle with me on every trip.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:08 AM

One other thing in using a 30-30 for the Great Bears, consider taking off the front sight on the 30-30 and filethe barrelsmooth and keepthe muzzlewell oiled.
[/quote]

reminds me of a story from my mis-spent youth.
when I was younger and dumber I hung around with some pretty rough characters. We ran the rodeo circuit and where pretty bad to frequent the beer tent afterwards to sociallize with the local ladies, if you know what I mean.

Well, this one time that I'm thiking of we where in a particularly rough neck of the woods. My rodeo buddy was smoothing up on this pretty young thing. It was all smiles and giggles until her boyfriend showed up. My buddy never was one to back down (i'm sure you know the type). So my he didn't let the boyfriends showing up slow him down. He told the ladies "I can take care of any problems" to which they replied that the feller was known to carry a pistol. Well the boyfriend came over to run my friend off. So Mike, being a not particularly bright person,[:@] asked him if he was packing. To which he replied: "you darn right!" My buddy's reply was: "you should file the front sight off that thing so it doesn't hurt as bad when I shove it up your #$$!" Then he looked at me and laughed saying "I read that in a magazine once, and have always wanted to say it to somebody" I'm not sure how we got outa there that night with our skin still attached, but let me tell you it was touch and go for awhile. Of course its much funnier now thinking of it than it was at the time.

I HOPE NO ONE READING THIS STORY THINKS THAT I AM IN ANY WAY ADVOCATING USING THIS LINE ON SOMEONE WITH A GUN, BECAUSE I AM NOT. IT WAS A VERY STUPID THING TO DO AND I WAS LUCKY THAT NOTHING BAD HAPPENED THAT NIGHT.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Savage 116FSS .375 H&H, or Winchester Model 70 .338 Win Mag.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crawfish7mm

A Sako with a swarovski.....now that sounds awesome!!!!
Maybe I should have you talk to my wife? I am not doing so well telling her what a great buy I just made.I just bought this rifle & scope combo, for abear hunt next week.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch
More big game has been taken by either the 30-30 or '06 than any other caliber over history.
I still take mine for walks in the woods.

That point is true.

Something else to think about, more game has been lost to the 30-30 & 30-06 than any other two rounds combined.

Match the gun to your game, or live life on the edge of just enough???

My honest choice is a two gun battery. IF I could do it all over again? I would have a 25-06 or 270 for my smaller game. I would pick a 338-win mag or 340-weatherby for my bigger game. This would handle all of my hunting.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:01 PM

Wolk Killer, Congrats on your purchase. Tell your wife that I am jealous.

By the way, I do have a 25-06 in a Remington Sendero
Old 05-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

wolf killer. Just curious about where you got the statistics concerning the 30-30 and 30-06? I have killed a ton of game with the 30-06 and have not lost a wounded animal yet. I have not used the 30-30 to much but have had no problems killing game with it. I think wounding game is much more hunter related than firearm related. I know its easier to blame the gun or lack of than to admit they made a lousy shot.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Remington 700sps in 300win mag with a 3x9x40 zeiss conquest.

Quick Reply: Big Game Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.