Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New to the site and to the sport! >

New to the site and to the sport!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New to the site and to the sport!

Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 PM

Default New to the site and to the sport!

Well, after following this site for about 8-10 months I figured I might as well throw my hat in the ring. This is by far one of the best sites on the net for general hunting conversation and info. Being a newbie to hunting I have found this forum to be a tremendous asset as it is loaded with ton a info from experienced hunters willing to share their knowledge and know how. I have been like a sponge trying to devour it all.

I moved out to Colorado from Illinois not too long ago and when I did I suddenly felt my spirit come to live out here. I hadn't lived out west since I was about 10yrs old living in Wyoming. I was around big game hunting alot in when I was in Wyoming (never actually hunted myself, was always there to watch and assist)but when we moved back east for some reason I never really got into hunting. Now I'm 31 and having moved back out west, that long forgotten interest has stirred back up inside me for some reason. I can't explain it. Its almost borderline obsession trying to read as many books, watch as many TV shows and DVDs trying to absorb all the info I can from rifle to bow hunting. I realize that there are many hunters on this forum that are lifelong hunters, having been raised in such a family and I appreciate their insight and knowledge. I however did not come from such a background. I feel like at 31 I'm a late comer to the game having not even shot a rifle/shotgun in about 10yrs. Is there a time when its too late in life to get into hunting? Not wanting to be a wannabe, just simply sharing this new found desire that has woken me from what seems to be a deep sleep for many years and introduce myself to the forum. I'm looking forward to chatting and learning from you all.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Default RE: New to the site and to the sport!

Welcome aboard brother, its never to early or too late to begin hunting, as far as your intensified interest its unexplainable, I live to hunt I'll hunt anything that doesn't fly. If I can help at all e-mail [email protected] ,I also checkout 2 other sites quite often, Monster Muleys and Jesses hunting and outdoors, lots of good advice ,Bill
Old 03-28-2007, 11:49 PM

Bill, I appreciate the welcome and offering any future help!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:41 AM
RMA
Fork Horn

Welcome...it's NEVER to late to start. I also reside in CO and will help any way I can. Send me a PM or email and I'll do my best to help you with your new found passion.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

I also offer my welcome KEH75, I am new to big game hunting myself being from MO but have been hunting locally for over 35 years. As you are I'm trying to learn every thing I can about elk hunting because I am comming out to colorado this fall to hunt in the San Juans. USA mentioned that he liked to hunt everything that didn't fly, whats wrong with that? Turkey hunting is a blast. Keep searching these forums, there are many good discussions going on.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome aboard KEH75. You're never too old to enjoy the great outdoors. If you don't believe me just check out this recent newspaper article about my great-grandfather-in-law. He's 91 and still hunting as hard as ever.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/03/15/features/outdoors/20-hunting_z.txt

Best of Luck.

AK Jeff
Old 03-29-2007, 01:34 PM

AK Jeff, great article!! Thanks for sharing that, it was encouraging. God bless that man, I hope I can get around as well as he can when/if I make it to that age! Thats awesome!
Old 03-29-2007, 02:12 PM

keh75,

Happy to have you onboard. It realy is a great lifestyle. I hesitate to say hobby because if you really get into it shapes the rest of your life. I mean in a good way.If you have kids or intended to some day it is a great way to bond and spend timewith them.I was recently married to a wonderful woman who has children from a previous marriage. When we started dating the oldest boy (at the time 13) was rebelling as most 13 year olds do. His parents hada ugly split andhis father is, well lets just say hard to respect. His grades where poor and his attitude was worse. I introduced him to hunting. I took the time to show him the ropes so to speak. I talked to him about the responsibilities thatcome with being a hunter. I let him decide for himself whether hewas capable of living up to such high standards of conduct.Nearly3 years later now, and he carries a 3.5 GPA is a upstanding , trustworthy and honest person. He has made me immensely proud. He is my SON, no step.My point is, get involved and the benefits are astounding. Just try to keep in mind that killing isa very small portion of this great endeavor.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

As with the others, welcome. I'm new to this site also. I live in Littleton area, what area are you in? Gimmie a em and we'll see what we can arrange to do some coffee n shooting.
Dan

Old 03-29-2007, 09:00 PM
usa
Fork Horn

onebigelk ,ooops, somehow I forgot that turkeys fly ...getting my gear ready for the turkey opener this sat.

Quick Reply: New to the site and to the sport!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.