Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 MN moose decline a mystery >

MN moose decline a mystery

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MN moose decline a mystery

Old 03-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Default MN moose decline a mystery

I heard on the local news here in MN that the moose population in northwest MN has went from just a shade under 300 to about half that and the population in northeast MN has dropped 20% as well. They report not knowing why the decline, and also that North Dakota population of moose is stable, thuse making the decline in MN more of a mystery at the present.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MN moose decline a mystery

I didn't know there were moose in MN, do you have wolves?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 PM

I live in western Wisconsin, and I also saw this on the news out of the Twin Cities. I was supprised that they are keeping your moose hunting season open this year. If something like that were to happen in Wisconsin, they would close that season in a heartbeat. Not that we need to worry, since moose are extremely rare in Wisconsin anyway.

Yes, there are lots of wolves in MN. Do you think that how warm it has been for the last few years has them migrating north.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 AM

ORIGINAL: fetzeriiif

I live in western Wisconsin, and I also saw this on the news out of the Twin Cities. I was supprised that they are keeping your moose hunting season open this year. If something like that were to happen in Wisconsin, they would close that season in a heartbeat. Not that we need to worry, since moose are extremely rare in Wisconsin anyway.

Yes, there are lots of wolves in MN. Do you think that how warm it has been for the last few years has them migrating north.
I agree that they should close the season with the decline noted. They very well could be moving north. Yeah we do actually have quite a lot of wolves in MN, even get one on occasion that ventures down to the Minneapolis/St. Paul area once in a while.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I would blame it on the wolves, why else would they have a decline? I think they have plenty of food and cover up north, and what else would be their predator.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 AM

ORIGINAL: trophy time

I would blame it on the wolves, why else would they have a decline? I think they have plenty of food and cover up north, and what else would be their predator.
It could be wolves, as MN has a fairly significant population of timber wolves, but it seems they (Dept of Natural Resources) are presently unsure what is going on.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

I know there is a brain worm that moose are susceptable to.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would do it.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Too be honest and from a hunter your looking at it the hunter himself dont blame the wolf the coyote the worms, the people, our selfs, in ontario where im frompopulations are getting smaller now looking at quotias for next yr as i want to start a gang for a moose hunts its gettingbigger for a gang and smaller for people, not good,for me or alot of other people. I love to hunt but just but maybe put a canceled hunt on moose for a couple yrs let the herds build up and then go for a moose hunt. But its just my opinion.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

They all came over here to North Dakota.

Quick Reply: MN moose decline a mystery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.