Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Processer spoiled my elk!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Processer spoiled my elk!

One time, my grandma said that they got a deer back from the processor, and that when they opened the package, there was deer crap on top of the meat!!!!! So they never used that one again!
Old 02-13-2007, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

One time, my grandma said that they got a deer back from the processor, and that when they opened the package, there was deer crap on top of the meat!!!!! So they never used that one again!
Gross!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

hmm, sounds to me you got someone elses spoils,,or he fixed it that way as to sell your prime on a black market,i'd get him,,get him good,,or pay to have him fixed good.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

My family always used to process deer as it is manageable. With elk though, alot more meat and work. I took my last to a processor, and now after thawing and before cooking have to look for hair. I mean hell, I pay someone to do something I can do myself and they can't even take the time to remove the hair! I will not use that processor again.
Deer crap though? I don't even think I've seen many field dressing to get it on the deer... let alone a processor getting it in the meat!
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

will79: First, do everything you can to put it to that processor. Second, make sure everyone around those parts knows this guy's methods and bad practices, put an ad in the paper if you can. Three, in the future do your own processing. An elk is, what? three times as much meat as a deer, four times as much meat as a deer? So you just cut on them for four times as long or get a few friends to help you out. The same process is used. I don't like the idea of using processors for lots of reasons. The worst case is your experience, but even in the best case do you really know what you are getting? Are you sure he is giving you all your tenderloins, all your backstrap? Are you sure you are getting your meat or is it possibly the meat of some other guy who let his animal lie on the ground for 18 hours before field dressing it and packing it out? You don't know. Process all your meat yourself, always. That is my opinion and other opinions are likely going to be different.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

There are good processors and bad. I've never used one beyond having some pepper sticks and salami made.Talk to the warden, what he did may qualify as wanton waste of a game animal. It would have been good if you had a witness to the condition of the meat as soon as you got it. He will try to argue that you must've let it thaw and then it spoiled and you refroze it. Ridiculous, but if you are seeking a small claims settlement, prepare for such things.Realistically if it thawed and was refroze, the paper would show considerable blood soakage. His stamps indicating cuts on the paper confirm he wrapped it.

I seriously encourage anyone to process their own meat. Even when in college living in an apartment, we would throw all the stuff in the fridge in coolers and put the boned elk quarters in the fridge (made a bloody mess, but that's what 409 and papertowels are for). You can do an elk in one sitting or a quarter an evening. As stated above get a friend and you can get an elk done in an evening.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Proccessing your own game can be a fun experiance for the whole family and even your friends.
Back in the day we used to get together, have the grill going, football game,beers and everyone had a job.
Gals wrapped,older kids trimmed cuts for burger or sausage, the men would do the major cutting.
When done with cutting the sausage proccess would start and every one was given a job.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 AM

That sucks, I'm glad that guy dosen't live by me.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Will79,
There is a domestic elk ranch several miles north of Stroud, OK. I don't know exactly where it is but I can find out if you want. I've driven past it several times with my old rodeo buddy who lives inStroud. I would at least make him replace the meat. If you know where he can get an elk, he has no excuses. I would then contact the local game warden as this definatly sounds like wantonwaste to me. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have our own crooked processer here! He charges $5 per deer hind qtr to wash,then $5 per to cut and wrap,2.89 per lbs. for German sausage,plus 2.50 per lbs. for regular sausage,plus he weights the total you bring in and adds $1 per pound total!I had a friend take in 2 hams from his deer,total of 45 lbs. and when he got the call it was ready the totol was $181!Now get this...since season is over the guys running adds to pay fraction of processing fees and get some deer meat!Alot of people told him to stick it and wouldn't pay or pickup their meat! My dad took 375 lbs. of elk a few years ago (boned out) and when he went to pick it up there was only 150 lbs. left!Dad whipped one of his employee's cause the crooked sucker wouldn't come out for his a#& whipping!

Quick Reply: Processer spoiled my elk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.