Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How much does your LRP weigh? >

How much does your LRP weigh?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How much does your LRP weigh?

Old 02-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default How much does your LRP weigh?

Long Range Hunting Packs! (all day packs to overnight packs)

1. What pack do you have, or which one are you going to buy?

2. Anything unique you like to have in the field?

3. How much does it weigh without water and food added?

I've got an eberlestock, new this year. With spotting scope, tripod and all gear on board it weighs right at 24 lbs. I like to keep a HD needle and heavy duty thread (stolen from my wife's sewing rm., shhhh) for repairing broken straps. I also keep one mil. style chem. light stick. Found that when I get an antelope or muley down in open prairie it makes for easy locate at night.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Default RE: How much does your LRP weigh?

Both of my pack weight around the same. Kifaru long hunter guide model 7200 Wieghts 6.2 pounds and my Badland 4500 weights 6.5 lbs. Both are great packs the Kifaru is the better of the two packs.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Typical Buck

I'll second the quality of the Kifaru. I have one of theirScout packs, it will outlast me.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Ok mines going to be a rocky open faced pack that'll way a good 7 pounds loaded. Stuff I need in there is survival pack
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 7379&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302695945&am p;bmUID=1171314562844

and a first aid kit
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=253437430 2695945&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441894133&am p;bmUID=1171315117746

Then I'd my knife, compass, t.p., paper+pen, wallet, binoculars and food.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

How on earth do you guys keep your packs 7lbs and under? Am I hauling around a lot of useless stuff or something. Minus water and food, take out the spotting scope and tripod - I'm still looking at about 18lbs.

I've basically got a small med kit, a stuff sack with survival gear(2lb), range finder, knife, knife sharpener,head lamp, small flash light, head sock, gloves, extra poly socks, poly pull-over, spare shirt,(I sweat like a pig so I need a change up), garbage bag, camera, game bags, and a few other odds and ends that don't add up to a pound. However, I do carry spare batteries for my range finder, GPS and head lamp also (I know that adds a little bit). I think the empty pack itself must weigh 3lbs.

I go through this stuff a couple times a year just to make sure nothing has found it's way in that doesn't need to be there. Like that big rock my father-in-law put there to slow me down once.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

A normal day trip about 8 lbs. On a back country week long hunt, I can live all week on a 35 lb pack (and be very comfortable with a shelter too)

My daypack is a Blacks Creek Alaskan

My backcountry pack is a camptrails moosepack with a Mc Kinley frame.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: eatsleephunt

How on earth do you guys keep your packs 7lbs and under? Am I hauling around a lot of useless stuff or something. Minus water and food, take out the spotting scope and tripod - I'm still looking at about 18lbs.

I've basically got a small med kit, a stuff sack with survival gear(2lb), range finder, knife, knife sharpener,head lamp, small flash light, head sock, gloves, extra poly socks, poly pull-over, spare shirt,(I sweat like a pig so I need a change up), garbage bag, camera, game bags, and a few other odds and ends that don't add up to a pound. However, I do carry spare batteries for my range finder, GPS and head lamp also (I know that adds a little bit). I think the empty pack itself must weigh 3lbs.

I go through this stuff a couple times a year just to make sure nothing has found it's way in that doesn't need to be there. Like that big rock my father-in-law put there to slow me down once.
Well let me revise the list:

first aid kit
survival kit
rope
knife
compass
paper and pen
t.p.
wallet
binoculars
head lamp

So maybe a good 8-9 lbs without food.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, Mallard, where've ya' been?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Hey, Mallard, where've ya' been?
Well I'm a bit algonquin and can hunt and fish in algonquin park with just my status card instead of licenses and the park is huge. So I need to take a few things but no were else really.