Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Not for the meek..

Old 04-11-2007, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Not for the meek..

can you say steve irwin waiting to happen , that is absolutly nuts!lol
Old 04-17-2007, 06:39 PM

I find this dubious. I wonder about this - some of those long shots were offhand and the vast majority of hunting in Africa is 'off sticks' - it makes me wonder if his intent was to WOUND the animals, since he was shooting at running animals offhand ... then close in for a 'close encounter'. At least one other source implied this is what he does.

If that's the case, its pretty gross - forcing a wounded animal (an animal YOU wounded) to charge isn't about the animals honor, its about your addiction to adrenaline.

Also, if you look closely he isn't the only shooter - the guy next to him shoots twice also - 4 rounds of Nitro.

Its thrilling to watch, but the details are bothersome.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ruddyduck

I could see if these are shots made after a client has made a poor shot , then it's the PH's task to pull his client's fat out of the fire.
it looked to me like half of his shots were bad and thats when he actually hit the animal. and his says he is leveling the playing field...ha. if thinks that is what he is doing then why has he never lost (apparently). nobody in any sport wins every time, if he wants everything fair then he needs to go out with a bowie knife and then see how big his cherries are then!

i dont see a problem with killing an animal at a hundred yards, one shot one kill. forcing an animal to protect it self before you fill it full of lead how is that sporting. its just stupidity.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 AM
Spike

I just read on another board

"Sullivan lost his PH license because of these videos because he endangered his client’s lives, took their shots and would wound animals so he could provoke a charge, all of which are unprofessional and grounds to have your professional hunting lic revoked."

I can not make any claims as to the accuracy of this comment but thought I'd pass it along.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:43 PM

This guy is a complete idiot! I don't agree with shooting these animals for sport. Hippos or cape buffalo, I really don't care about, but I don't think that elephants should be hunted at all. "Death with honor", Bull****! He's just trying to be an extremist and make money with his videos.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:55 AM

that guy is a moron why would you try and get charged?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Sooner or later he'll end up like the Crocodile hunter, showboating for the camera.Like freestyle mt. climbers who feel they don't need a safety rope ,soon to be in the obits..............Anti-hunters thrive on these types of clips.....Harold
His style will one day catch up with him.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Some of the more entertaining hunting videos out there IMO.

Not exactly my style of hunting as I'm a little wet-behind-the-ears for that kind of action,but itappears to be the kind of adventure thatcertainly fits for some of his clients.... I know he does have a fair share of repeat business, and to the extent that he fills that niche, I have no problem with Mark Sullivan. Talked to him at SCI-Reno and he struck me as the genuine article.
================================================== ==

People have been hoping/praying that his PH license would be revoked for a long time.... much to their dismay, most anything can be taken care of in Africa with a little payola, so folks are still a wishin'. [Rumors of the revocation of his license circulate from time to time.... I am not aware of any interruption to his fulfilling his bookings.]

People have been hoping/praying that one of the animals in a charge would get him for a long time now.... Mark has been doing this since the 1990's, probably longer than some of the respondees here have been packing firearms. [To my knowledge rumors of Mark's death continue to be greatly exaggerated.]

He has led a charmed life.... one of the animals may get him.... or he may die a more mundane death.... all in all being killed by a Hippo or Cape Buffalo wouldcertainly be better than wasting to death in storage in a rest home IMHO.... at least die with your boots on.... so, he is living a life out side of our box....so what?
================================================== =

The most interesting part of the thread I have observed is theoffense that risesup from many whoprobably do the majority of their huntingwhile sitting up in treestands and potting big bad Bambi as he walks by down below....Much of the ways of life in third world countries is a bit tuff for Americans to stomach as they assume the rest of the world should operate according to their politegold standard.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: EKM

Some of the more entertaining hunting videos out there

He has led a charmed life.... one of the animals may get him.... or he may die a more mundane death.... all in all being killed by a Hippo or Cape Buffalo wouldcertainly be better than wasting to death in storage in a rest home IMHO.... at least die with your boots on.... so, he is living a life out side of our box....so what?
================================================== =

The most interesting part of the thread I have observed is theoffense that risesup from many whoprobably do the majority of their huntingwhile sitting up in treestands and potting big bad Bambi as he walks by down below....Much of life in third world countries is a bit tuff for Americans to stomach as they assume the rest of the world should operate according to their politegold standard.
EKM, I agree with you. After a career of an adrenaline fueled job, everything seems bland. Kind of makes you fill like you're wasting the ability to do something exciting withwhat time you've got left. For all of those who can hunt where you are not gauranteed to be the winner, kudos to you. What's the quote? " Life is not measured by how many moments we live but instead by the moments that take our breath away."