Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ? >

How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?

Old 02-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Default RE: How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?

Here is a pic of my tent stove. I have a heck of a time getting this one to work right. Any suggestions I could do to modify it. If I leave the door cracked it burns fine, a little smoke comes out though.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

We camp above 10k and use wood stoves in all 3 tents.
But we bring oak and mesquite from home as we have a drive up camp.

In the end......everyone has their opinion of what you should/could do and whether you should/could worry about being warm in your tent. My opinion, only takes a little bit more effort to go first class. If you are staying for a week or so, nothing will sap your will to live like being miserable and only you know what that is.

Well made and well designed wood stoves will work fine for your situation, just need the proper fuel. IF it is an option, I would bring some along. We burn our seasoned wood in the stoves and use the fall downs for the campfire.

I knew it would take somone from Texas to see my problem. We typically stay nearly 2 weeks and thats a long time to be miserable. Hauling wood isnot a problem, we dont pack in, we hunt from camp.

thanks RRH for the info.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

"Here is a pic of my tent stove. I have a heck of a time getting this one to work right. Any suggestions I could do to modify it. If I leave the door cracked it burns fine, a little smoke comes out though. "

If cracking the door does the trick, than you aren't getting enough draft, or the air intake isn't providing the oxygen where it is needed. Your intake on the door looks like it is big enough, but I would put the intake lower so the draft is flowing up through the fuel. My exeperience with stoves (mostly larger home, not portables) is that those with a lower air intake burn much better.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM

"Any suggestions I could do to modify it. If I leave the door cracked it burns fine, a little smoke comes out though."

Elkhntr, if it doesnt have a rack so a draft can travel upwards thru thru wood you may givethat a shot.

wyomingtrapper is right, it looks like your intake is above your wood.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

What size is your stove pipe? We noticed a big jump going from 4" to 5" inch stove jacks.
Our stoves were made by our two "camp engineers".
How tall is your wood rack? You could add some vents across the bottom, below your door?
Also, how tall is your stove jack? IF it doesn't clear the roof line of your tent, you will have trouble with the draw on still nights.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: wyomingtrapper

If cracking the door does the trick, than you aren't getting enough draft, or the air intake isn't providing the oxygen where it is needed. Your intake on the door looks like it is big enough, but I would put the intake lower so the draft is flowing up through the fuel. My exeperience with stoves (mostly larger home, not portables) is that those with a lower air intake burn much better.

Ok that was kind of my thought as well. I just didn't know enough about them.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: feederwatcher

Elkhntr, if it doesnt have a rack so a draft can travel upwards thru thru wood you may givethat a shot.

wyomingtrapper is right, it looks like your intake is above your wood.

It does have a rack in the bottom, but that intake is about in the center of the wood pile.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRiverHntr

What size is your stove pipe? We noticed a big jump going from 4" to 5" inch stove jacks.
Our stoves were made by our two "camp engineers".
How tall is your wood rack? You could add some vents across the bottom, below your door?
Also, how tall is your stove jack? IF it doesn't clear the roof line of your tent, you will have trouble with the draw on still nights.

It is 5 inches.

The wood rack is maybe 5 inches off the bottom. I am sure I could put some vents below the door.

48" stove jack. I think it clears but I will check my pictures again.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: M77man

Easy, two warm bodies per sleeping bag and thoughts of pursuing trophy Elk while viewing beautiful back country! Nice problem to have!
Listen to the underlying message, where talking about beautiful back country here. Now what could be better then a hot girlfriend that is phyisically in shape and wouldbe perfectly willing to rough itout in the mountains andfollow you aroundall day chasing Elk? Just a thought.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:08 PM

Easy, two warm bodies per sleeping bag and thoughts of pursuing trophy Elk while viewing beautiful back country! Nice problem to have!
Listen to the underlying message, where talking about beautiful back country here. Now what could be better then a hot girlfriend that is phyisically in shape and wouldbe perfectly willing to rough itout in the mountains andfollow you aroundall day chasing Elk? Just a thought.
If my wife found out she would be really pissed. Then I would have to just figure out a way to live there ! Damn the delema..............

Quick Reply: How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.