Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What is your favorite caliber? >

What is your favorite caliber?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What is your favorite caliber?

Old 03-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What is your favorite caliber?

Why?

Because the "camp rules" changed on him and he is now "undergunned"andhe can'tcontinue to use that.270that has served him so well for so many years and accounted for numerous elk?????????
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

30-06. Don't look back...
Old 03-06-2007, 11:44 AM

Delete.
(Old memory pattern)
Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
EKM
Typical Buck

Why?

Because the "camp rules" changed on him and he is now "undergunned"andhe can'tcontinue to use that.270that has served him so well for so many years and accounted for numerous elk?????????
No.
You're barking up wrong tree, the "Beware of the man with one gun...." issue that I brought upis not "cartridge related" (270 or otherwise).

Even before our elk hunting group instituted the "30-06 power and up" requirement, we observed a high "drop out rate" of people who were aching to"sign up" for elk huntingin February and hadthree excuse/problems cropping upbyJune and were totally out of the loop by September....

Out of those, most oftenthe "dropping out"seemed to stem from a lack of financial resources.

Generally we observed, the man who "only had one gun"(per the JOC quote)seemed tobe more likelyto be chronically low on resources.
To their credit,such a"drop out"may be one heck of a local hunter, a crack shot, and always come home at the end of the day with their critter from the local deer patch, however, a remote/away from home big game hunt usually involves more than that (unlessyou live right in the thick of the hunting and can "day hunt" the area):

= 7-10 days off work (either lost revenue or paid vacation days consumed)
= 7-10 days with wife likely not participating in your vacation and wondering when does she get her due?
[Thus the finances required to "even it up" for her.]
= The need for a long distance, roadworthy 4WD.
= Greater gas, lodging & meals (enroute), and greater hunt preparation expenses.
= Greater camp costs (even if shared), possibly higher tag costs due to perhaps being from out of state.
= and if itstheir first time on an elk hunt, then just plain "more"

Hence,(fair or not),we observeda higher drop out rate for that "group."
Thuscamemy comment about JOC's "famous quote" withmy revised version of....

"....Beware of the man who owns one gun, odds are very high he will drop out of your group's planned remote/away from home big game trip...."
Fundamental perhaps, but not "cartridge related" at all!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My favorite caliber isthe .308-caliber.
My favorite gun it that caliber? My old Ruger M-77 chambered in 300-win mag.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I apologize. Since this is a ".270 and elk" thread I thought it might have something to do with the minimum cartridge your camp has.

I do see yourpoint now that you explained it.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:49 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Glad to help you figure it out.
You can bet if I had something to say about 270's I would include"270" in my post.
=================================

Original Thread Post:
"....I have a 270 for deer hunting but i want to do either some moose or elk hunting in the next few years, I think that my 270 is probly to light for what I'm after so what would you guys get? "
IMHO, this is NOT a "270 and elk post" thread, though many choose not to honor the originator's original request. If he likes a 270 for deer, then you know he doesn't like to go to the light side. This is a quest by a hunter (apparently with some resources) to upgrade his weaponry tomeet his increased standards forgearing up for a more rigorous query. He asks for advice to that end.

Making it a "270 and elk" thread portion seemingly started with those who didn't want to see him get anything beyond where he was, but rather stay right "inside his little box" and not grow.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM

7mm Remington Magnum, i use 150's, and they drop like nothing else, i could use 175's but it doesnt like my gun as well
Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mybigredford

hell with the right shot placement you can drop a grizzley with a 22.

wouldnt the lead bullet just bounce off the skin, you might as well throw scrunched up paper balls at him to while your at it.
Hey buddy a record grizz was taking with a 22 to the head by an indian who was walking down a cutline hunting chickens. They hid behind a brushpile as the bear was walking towards them down the cutline and they shot the bear in the head at point blank when it went by.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:53 PM

270WSM

Quick Reply: What is your favorite caliber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.