Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

gamie meat

Old 02-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Default RE: gamie meat

We mix our burger with 20% pork butt roast and we have never had a problem.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM

mix with pork is pretty good. It is just dry with out other suet. I like to make taco meat out of it. Just adda a package of taco seasoning and the game flavor is gone. Wife and kids even eat it

Old 03-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

hell i dont add suet to mine, never had a gamey anything that i can remember....

but anymore beef hamburger tastes like an oil slick.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are only two reasons for meat to taste "gamie".

1. The meat was not processed properly. There is a ton of info on this subject. I recommend getting a good book on butchering/aging and preparing.
2. Wrong recipe. Your brain is anticipating the way a meal is supposed to taste, based on past experience. If another meat was used as a substitute, it will taste like something is wrong with the recipe. Further, since the only thing different is the meat, you will beleive that something is wrong with it, or it tastes "gamie". To avoid this scenario, only use game animals in recipies that you are used to eating them in (old family favorites), or try new recipes. There are some great recipies out there for game animals, but there is something funny about a venison burger when you're used to beef and vise-versa.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

I ran in to this problem this year, too, although my animals are gamey whether it's cuts or ground. I half expected it, because I got a very old whitetail buck and a muley doe. My experience is very much like 121553 on whitetails vs. muleys.

Anyhow, make sure you are trimming your meat for ground as carefully as your cuts. Sometimes people get a little sloppy on the bound-for-ground meat.

I've been cooking my steaks after a long marinade, not usually my choice because I like the flavor of game, normally. For burger, try frying them in bacon grease, this will cover a lot of the gaminess. My muley has a strong brushy flavor that seems to blend really well with garlic salt for some reason. So I have just fried the burger normally with her, then substituted garlic salt for regular salt and that has worked well to disguise the flavor.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ipersonally love the gamey taste of deer, especially in chilli.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've personally never tasted any "gamie" meat. however i only hunt in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. "gamie" meat must be a northern thing.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Ipersonally love the gamey taste of deer, especially in chilli.
Is that why all your animals end up being gut shot? [:'(]

The devil made me say that, I just couldn't resist it.

Bobby
Old 03-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lol, I never gut shot a deer.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:51 PM

"gamie" must be a northen thing?.....
well i have never seen or heard of a muley in FLORIDA...lol

Quick Reply: gamie meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.