Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunt 2007

Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM

Default Elk hunt 2007

Hello, new member here:

I have a little experience with elk hunting, Colorado and Idaho. These have mostly been archery hunts in Sept. It has been quite a few years and Ihave yet to get one.
My son (16 yr old) would like to try it now, but would like to try with rifle for his first time. This bring some questions as to how I could pull this off with him.
First - I wouldn't mind doing a DYI hunt - 3 of us did this in Colorado twice and was able to 4WD truck in quite a ways to set up a camp, but since rifle season is generally a couple weeks later, I would be concerned about getting snowed in.
Second - an outfitted/guided hunt would be too pricey (I'll likely end up paying the bulk of this trip). A drop camp may be a possibility.
Third -We would need to be able to get a bull or either-or tag, and in an area that is not heavily crowded but that holds a reasonable chance of taking an elk.
I may consider boating into an area to set up a camp if that is a possibility somewhere and would get us away from crowds and/or the reach of 4-wheelers.

I'm thinking Colorado and Idaho may be our best bets for a tag at a reasonable cost, although, if we were able to make a DIY hunt work, I may consider Montana, even though the licence cost there is rediculous enough to mostly discourage non-resident hunters.

I'm probably asking a lot, but any suggestions???
Thanks much for any help or advise.

Old 01-28-2007, 07:50 PM

Default RE: Elk hunt 2007

Hey schul44mag, I'm in the same boat. My boy is 11 so I'm going to try my best to go on an un-guided hunt out west either next year or the following. I was thinking MT because last I heard I can draw a mule/elk tag for $350, I live in MI. I want to get an Elk pretty bad but all will not be wasted if I spend some quality time with my boy out in the foot hills. The only thing I am worried about are the Grizzlies. So what have you heard about Colorado and Idaho?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Montana tag is 845.00 for 2007, WHEW!That adds up if you're buying several. Colorado and Idaho are the lowest priced I believe but it takes lots of research to find areas with decent numbers of elk that are not overrun with hunters. I've been working on this myselfnow for several years and putting in for preference points in Colorado. I'm planning on trying a DIY muzzleloader hunt next year. Hopefully will catch the end of the rut and get to hear some bulls bugling. Wont be as many hunters in the woods then and not as cold. My first trip out years ago during the third season introduced me to -20 degrees and 3 feet of snow for the first time in my life. Almost lost some appendages from frostbite! That type of hunting requires lots of logistics to have a good time.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:10 PM

M77man,

I've been to each state twice for elk, loved them both. First time to Idaho about 20+ years ago with rifle. Second time to Idaho about 18 years ago with bow, with a outfitter and guide. Poor excuse for an archery guide, we heard quite a few elk but never saw a hair in a week. Third and forth time 3 of us did a DIY archery hunt in NW Colorado - Flattops Wilderness area. I would go back to either area in a heartbeat if I were going with the bow again. Just that with rifle, it would be a few weeks later and when we drove to the Flattops boundry, it took us over 3 hrs to go about 10 miles on this jeep "trail" - that was in a 4WD truck and without snow. I'd sure hate to get snowed in there. I would also expect much more competition and don't want to work my but off getting to an area to find a half dozen 4-wheelers parked there and 6-8 hunters all around.

All in all, I remember Idaho being lower elevation and during the guided hunt, seemed to be lots of very thick areas - heavy underbrush. There weresome cutover area from logging.
Colorado was higher - I think we were camped at about 9000 feet on a large flat and could go either up 1500-2000 more feet or down another 1000 feet or so, all within a very short distance of camp.
I'd say the part of Colorado we were in was generally steeper and more rugged than the part of Idaho we were in the last time (just below the panhandle towards the east side of the state).
I'd say Colorado lived up to it's reputation of having more elk.
Good luck in your search.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:59 PM

I amy have talked to you before but I can take you for a guided elk hunt. I am a new outfitter on our family ranch and we have many left over tags for our area. If you don't want to spend much we can do cow hunts pretty cheap. and prices get cheaper with 2-3 people.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Hello out there. I hope I don't make a fool of myself here, this is my first
message on this forum. I just recently found the hunting.net web site. I
know --where has this guy been?. But I am so looking forward to going
elk hunting I can taste it. Thats right, I haven't ever been elk hunting
either, but I have wanted to for years. Been doing lots of research on the
enternet and talking on the phone with DOW(Colorado Dept of Wildlife)
people. I'm getting good info from them but is great to listen in on all the
conversations here. Figured I might as well jump in and get my feet wet.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:45 PM

I found out that the Elk/Muley combo for MT is around $650. It was just the Mule deer alone tag costs $350.Wishful thinking I guess.Now I face a dillema because I most likely wont be following this trip up until a few more years later, do I throw a few more pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters into the piggy bank for the incurred $300 extra and go for it?! Or do I just get the Muley tag and hope I don't see any beautiful majestic bull Elk?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

M77man
I am planning a DIY hunt for elk in the San Juan National forest of Southwest Colorado between Durango and Pagosa Springs this fall. Plan A is to apply for a Muzzleloader license (as soon as my brochure and applications arrive)or plan B is to buy and overthecounter bull license for the 2nd rifle season in October. The bull tags are $504. A combo tag
would be nice but I don't think I can afford it.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

I went turkey hunting in this area 2 years ago and was fortunate enough to harvest a nice meriam gobbler. My main reason for going was to scout for elk and mule deer. I had never been to Colorado and decided I had to go for the first time some time. This way I was able to kill 2 birds with one
stone(actually only one bird). I am from Missouri and have killed many easterns but not any other sub species. The San Juan is about 8ml acres.
It was beautiful and saw tons of elk/mule deer sign.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 AM

I'm doing the combo. I might not be back for another 4 or 5 years so I'm going to make it count as much as possible. I don't want to be kicking myself for driving all the way out from Michigan for nothing not even a chance. It just wouldn't make any sense. The other crazy part is that I may have to do this hunt alone so does anyone know if I can do a DYI hunt and have it set up where I can call for help to come get my kill if I have a GPScoordinate?

Quick Reply: Elk hunt 2007

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.