Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What animal do we like the most? >

What animal do we like the most?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What animal do we like the most?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:29 PM

Default RE: What animal do we like the most?

I've noticed alot of elk lovers here. May i ask why you like those the most? Like what makes them so awesome to hunt? What makes them so much better than say like a moose hunt or caribou hunt? Are elk harder to hunt then say moose or caribou? I know a bunch of questions, just curious.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

I've noticed alot of elk lovers here. May i ask why you like those the most? Like what makes them so awesome to hunt? What makes them so much better than say like a moose hunt or caribou hunt? Are elk harder to hunt then say moose or caribou? I know a bunch of questions, just curious.
For me its becasueI think they are the most majestic animal I hunt here. I love the way they look, move, live, sound and even smell. Hearing a distant bugle is an awesome sound and feeling. Getting within their space and hearing a herd bull holler is awe striking, they litterally make the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up.Elk camp is another reason, lots of laughs, freindship, good eats and tons of memories to fill the other 51 weeks of the year.Not to mention they are a challenge to hunt and taste awesome. Elk just have a mystique about them that I enjoy.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:40 PM

I also love the way the animal looks and i find their behaviour the most interesting of any big game animal. They are a challenge to hunt in this area because you cannot pattern them like you can a deer. They move in one area one day then by 2 miles over the next. The game really keeps you on your toes. All it takes my friend is for you to go out one cool foggy morning and weave your way into a herd with the constant mewing of cows who you can only hear though they are right next to you when a bull rips a bugle and chuckles paces away from you. That my friend is elk hunting at its finest. I had a good bull in during archery season this year that had my heart pumping so hard i was worried the bull could hear it. He suspected something was up and hung there 30 yards out for an hour until the light was gone never offering me a shot. I agree with skeeter they make for some great vittles and my elk crew are class act guys. We hunt hard but man do we have fun back in camp, which is set up by the barn on the farm. Anything more fun wouldn't be legal.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never hunted out west, planning on doing it real soon, so i am only used to whitetails and black bear, but out of all the animals out there, i think the Dall sheep is one of the most beautiful out there.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM

If I were only able to hunt 1 species of animal the rest of my life it would be the elk. Followed by moose, caribou, whitetail, bear. I love to bowhunt and have taken all these animals with my bow.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:43 AM

you take a 1/4 of bush, say there's a moose and a herd or 60 elk, 9 out of 10 times you'll see the moose, before you see any elk
except last night that is....the neighbors 1/4, has elk feeding on his bales, we go about 1 am, we can just make out shapes in the dark, the herd cow gives a warning squeal and they back off from us.[ we r sitting in truck on road, its -20c] we can here them moving nervously, but if they want shelter they have to cross road in front of us. after about 3-4 mins. they decided to go for it, and they charged across the road right in front of us. they where 2to 3 deep and crossed full out for a good 30 sec only40 feet in front of us. we estimated 150 of them cows calfs and spikers. wow what a site what a sound.
we have 2 good size herds like that within 5 miles of us, and i'll see30 moose befor i see an elk during daylight hours.
you,ve got to hunt them , call them, they;ll answer come within 30 yrds, and you won't see him, time and again they,ve frustrated me, but i've also turned around and ones standing there staring me down, he's come in with out a sound, he'll be a spiker or barely legal [3 points or better here], and he ain't going to get much older with that attitude. he'll taste great but it only takes them 4 years to become a 6 point and the meats just as good. fooled city folk into thinking thre eatin beef. can't do that with a moose, but nothing wrong with moose meat, but thats another story,
we also have muley's and whitetails in a bundence, bears ...black, wolves which we want, couger and grizz within 10 miles
guess maybe we're spoiled
all this and we're on a farm with no trees,
1 mile from crwn land
just don't get that moose with ur truck

Old 01-19-2007, 11:15 AM

Moose. I have been wanting to go on a Moose hunt. With my bow. I have seen it done on TV. Seems like great fun.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:26 AM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

musk ox is the most beautiful, and my favorite hunt as far as excitement goes is spear hunting for alaskan brown bears.

ok ive only hunted whitetail so theres my vote until next year.

You use spears? I only use a bowie knife!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

its whitetails or bear for me depends on the situation..
Old 01-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Has to be Mt. Lion, Mt. Goat and the big rams here..

Goatslayer....

Quick Reply: What animal do we like the most?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.