Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

AK'ers

Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AK'ers

I was contimplating a sheep hunt in Alaska some time in the future. My questions are these: Do you have to draw a tag or can you purchase one over the counter. I see on the Game and Fish website that the TOK and Delta Controlled hunt areas are draw only. But are there other over the counter tags available? Also, I know as a nonresident, I would have to use a guide. Do you have to have a guides license to guide or is any resident of Alaska classified as a guide that could take a nonresident hunter?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Default RE: AK'ers

[/align]You can buy them over the counter at wall mart and yes you need the guides license number to get it.I want to go for goats first.Maybe 2008 or 2009 I'll buy a grezz tag to take along you should also.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most areas are over the counter for sheep....

For sheep, goats and grizzly/brown bear you have to hire a licensed guide OR hunt with a next of kin that is an Alaska resident..

But if your brother, father , mother or sister lived in AK you'd already know that now, wouldn't you..??......
Old 01-12-2007, 12:21 AM

lot of areas for alaska are over the counter for sheep, but several areas are being discussed as being made draw areas as well. i wouldnt' wait real long to go sheep hunting.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:05 PM

As an Alaskan I will tell you that you better be in shape. Did my first sheep huntthis year with the Delta Control Unit walk in permit. Was a tough hunt and no prize at the end of the journey. As brwnbr hinted to, quality sheep hunts are getting harder to find every year, and you can bet will be twice as hard to find in 10 years. Start saving, stop dreaming and make it happen. I know I got up here in 1997, a quality guided moose hunt was $4500, now some of the quality drop offs are going $7500-8000, with guided hunts going for up to $12000. Probably going to go up as fast as you can save.

Terry