Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Can I enter Canada?

Old 12-30-2006, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Can I enter Canada?

ORIGINAL: Montana Bob

A passport will be required after the first of the year to enter or travel through Canada.
Your wrong,, it has nothing to do with Canada Customs,, its a USlaw and it will only effect those travelling by air in january into the United States.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/whti-ivho/what-quoi-e.html

more info available for travelling too Canada.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

criminal inadmissibility
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/inadmissibility.html
Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id stop ya too if ya told me your name was Montana Bob.LOL.

Just crossed into Alberta bout a month and a half ago North of Great Falls, MT.
They will run a background check. I have a very common name and was held up for 30 minutes even with my birth Certificate.
A passport will be required after the first of the year to enter or travel through Canada.
I have been through a few times shoot me a PM and Ican give you the heads up. I have a folder of documents that I carry to CMA.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

I was stopped at the Alaskan border and while there the Customs Agent told me I would need a Passport starting Jan 1st as I had mentioned I would be moving up to Alaska
This came from the offical at the border. Weather it is write or wrong I don't know, but for me having to go through that littleborder crossing again I will have a passport as I am not going to argue the law in the middle of nowhere after the guy told me I would need one.
ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Your wrong,, it has nothing to do with Canada Customs,, its a USlaw and it will only effect those travelling by air in january into the United States.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency/whti-ivho/what-quoi-e.html

more info available for travelling too Canada.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

criminal inadmissibility
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/inadmissibility.html
Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Just went to the US Customs site and copied this, which I believe it is not in effect as of yet.
Documents You Will Need to Enter the United States
Important Note: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will soon require all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted form of documentation to enter or reenter the United States. The program will be rolled out in phases. The proposed timeline is as follows:
[ul][*]As of January 23, 2007, ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.[*]As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons*, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

*Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States. [/ul]

Travel Documents for U.S. Citizens Under WHTI
Under the proposed implementation plan, the following documents will be acceptable to fulfill document requirements:
[ul][*]U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, and may also use a U.S. passport when traveling via sea and land borders (including ferry crossings).[*]The Passport Card (also referred to as the PASS Card): This limited-use passport in card format is currently under development and will be available for use for travel only via land or sea (including ferries) between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Similar in size to a credit card, it will fit easily into a wallet.[*]DOS and DHS also anticipate that the following documents will continue to be acceptable for their current travel uses under WHTI: SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST, and the U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document. As proposed, members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty traveling on orders will continue to be exempt from the passport requirement.[/ul]

Until this requirement is in effect as noted above, U.S. citizens are currently exempt from the requirement to show a passport unless they are returning to the U.S. from outside the Western Hemisphere (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia). However, it is highly recommended that you be prepared to present documentation such as valid U.S. passport, U.S. birth certificate, or naturalization certificate to avoid delays.
.................................................. ................................
Swampthing you are correct However,
It does not make much sense not to have a passport in this case. If you drive up and have an emergency there will be fly out for youand besides they are an easy get.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok, so if I'm going to hunt canada, after a passport, and birth certificate, what forms and fees are needed/assesed to take a firearm into canada? is it something I can do or does it have to be handled by someone else?
RR
Declare it at customs,, pay a $25 fee, they check serial numbers.

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/info_for-renseignement/factsheets/visitin_e.asp
Old 01-01-2007, 12:23 PM

You have to be deemed rehabilitated. some info.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/conviction.html

Now I know a guy who had an impaired mid 80's. He was coming too Canada too hunt.. He told me well its been 20 years since I was convicted im not going too have a problem.. I told him too look into it and get the paperwork done before he tried too gain entry.. He said no its past the 10 years theyre going too let me in.. I told him again get the paperwork done... I guess he knows better than I because it said 10 years.. I told him good luck!

Now him and a buddy drive 8 hours to get to the border. They decide they dont want to spend the high $ for alcohol in Canada. They went into the duty free and bought a case and a bottle each. They cross the border and while theyre being checked,, the customs officer is running his lic. plate,, this DUI pops up on the computer screen. Next question do you have and alcohol or tobacco too declare?? yep we have a bottle and a case of beer each. Pull over too secondary inspection.

Dave I see you were convicted in 1984 of DUI?? yes I was but that doesnt matter it was over the 10 year period time frame,, im deemed to be rehabilitated..

Well we dont see it that way, YOU declared a case of beer and bottle of whiskey for your own personal use,, you still have an alcohol problem, we are denying entry!

Now he called me as soon as he got back into the USA,, and said they denied me entry because we had bought alcohol before we tried too get over the border..

All I said was,, you had an alcohol related conviction and you tried too declare alcohol for your own personal use.. how are youto be"DEEMED to be REHABILITATED" when you are declaring alcohol for your own personal use? He just couldnt understand it all he kepot saying was,,"the conviction was over 10 years ago".
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

well when we went to canada somebody with us had a dui on his recored and was worried but nothing happend at all
Old 01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cross into Alberta and B.C. quite frequently and it depends on the custom agent on what they ask. Some are kind of laid back and just ask the routine questions, any alcohol, firearms, purpose of visit and length of stay. About 1 out of 10 times am I ever asked if I have ever been arrested and then they pull you inside and do a back ground cheque. Some of the questions asked are so rediculous, but make sure you swallow your pride and don't give any smarta$$ replies. They can detain you for a long time. Good luck.

Bobby
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM

When was the conviction? 5 years seems to be the magic number, if its been over 5 years then you are probably fine.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:35 PM

It was just this last year, 2006. Oh ya, where do I go to get a passport?

Quick Reply: Can I enter Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.