Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Death Trap ,old mine shaft >

Death Trap ,old mine shaft

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Death Trap ,old mine shaft

Old 12-18-2006, 12:44 AM

Default Death Trap ,old mine shaft

Found mine shaft when on Elk hunt two years ago. Returned and put a aspen down in it. It was tucked next to a spruce and hard to see. during the summer with growth you could walk right into it. When I first found it it was while on a stalk. I was trailing a small herd of Elk so I was watching them when i creped up to that spruce.I moved one of the lower limbs to step behind the tree and darn there it was 4 foot wide and 20 foot deep.
nasty spot for it to be all flat Plato so you would not expect it.
Next year we will mark it on the GPS and inform the forest service or Fish and Game. here is the video http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/download.php?id=889
Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Death Trap ,old mine shaft

ORIGINAL: elkslayer338

Found mine shaft when on Elk hunt two years ago. Returned and put a aspen down in it. It was tucked next to a spruce and hard to see. during the summer with growth you could walk right into it. When I first found it it was while on a stalk. I was trailing a small herd of Elk so I was watching them when i creped up to that spruce.I moved one of the lower limbs to step behind the tree and darn there it was 4 foot wide and 20 foot deep.
nasty spot for it to be all flat Plato so you would not expect it.
Next year we will mark it on the GPS and inform the forest service or Fish and Game. here is the video http://www.muleymadness.com/forum/download.php?id=889
That is likely a test pit rather than a full fledged shaft. It didn't appear to be 20 ft. deep but you should probably call the nearest USFS or BLM office and report it to their minerals person.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Default RE: Death Trap ,old mine shaft

i found an old well during deer season where we hunt at. it used to be a coal mine a long time ago. were gonna go cover it up and mark it some how.