Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Nebraska big horn

Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 AM

Default Nebraska big horn

Got really close to a nebraska big horn while muzzleloader deer hunting. Didn't get a deer but got a great pic of this big horn at about 10-15yds. I was wondering if this is a full curl or just shy.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Default RE: Nebraska big horn

looks like a big one to me, but i really think that might be the first one i have ever seen so i cant really compare
Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

He'sclose to full,byt he's a young ram.The ends aren't broomed off and not a whole lot of mass.
Nebraska has bighorn?I did not know that.
BBJ
Old 12-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Close to full curl, but not quite. Looks like maybe 4 years old by the rings. Kinda hard to tell with the picture.

Later

Marcial
Old 12-16-2006, 04:40 PM

I'd say he is just past 3/4 curl. Wyoming G&F definition of 3/4 curl:

"“Three‑quarter curl ram” means a male bighorn sheep with a horn which can be intercepted at both the outer edge of the forward base of the horn and the tip of the horn by a straight line drawn through the center of the eye socket when viewed in profile, or any male bighorn sheep that has attained the age of eight (8) years as determined by the horn annuli.

Where was this? Private game ranch? I'll bet there is not even any regs in Nebraska for BHSheep(?)
Old 12-16-2006, 05:20 PM

This was on public ground in north west nebraska, where there was no high fence. Nebraska in the past several years has had two permits for sheep. One was auctioned off, the other was available through a raffle for residents only. This year they did not issue any due to some die off caused by some disease. This is not the only one i have seen out there, but this the closest I've gotten and with a camera.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:34 AM

young ram
but he looks pretty good
Old 01-06-2007, 12:44 AM

[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif"]Full-Curl Trophy Sheep - A male bighorn sheep with horns, one of which is of sufficient size that when viewed in profile, its tip extends upward beyond a straight line drawn from the rear-most point of the base of the horn to the centre of the nostril.

Close but not quite
Old 01-06-2007, 01:53 AM

I'm with everyone else- its somewhere between 3/4 curl and full curl. Seeing bighorn sheep in the desert is weird to me. I've seen them down low before and I had to do a double take to make sure my eyes were not deceiving me.

By the way, good picture!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Were they brought in or did they move in on there own?

Quick Reply: Nebraska big horn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.