Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What about a 444?

Old 11-24-2002, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What about a 444?

Say I wanted a elk/moose/bear/deer/hog gun. This gun would have to have enough power to make a charging grizzly change his mind. It would have to be compact and packable. Tough enough to take a little bit of a beating. And I wouldn't put a scope on it so shots would be no further than 100-150 yards at the most. I was thinking of the marlin 444 lever action. What do ya'll think? Maybe a 45-70? Or even a remington 700adl in 30-06 with 220 grain bullets? So many calibers, so little money to spend! I'm not thinking of buying anything soon, just wanting some ideas.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-24-2002, 01:27 PM

Default RE: What about a 444?

Kodiak,

I think that for anything other than a grizz, your remington 30-06 would be fine. I think the 30-06 is a bit light for grizz, but I would wager that more bears have been killed with the 30 caliber rifles than anything else. If you want a big bore, I think the 45-70 is a great choice. I was looking into the 444 as well, but a friend of mine, as well as the gun dealer I was talking to, mentioned that there are more bullet options in the 45-70. I do own a remington 30-06 adn it is a great gun. Never did buy the big bore gun, so it is all second hand from here.

beej

Old 11-24-2002, 06:51 PM

if you want a gun for everything i tihnk a marlin 45-70 is your gun. for bear hunting or defense Garret makes Hammerhead cartridges that throw i think its a 500 or 550gr bullet at 1500fps, which is definatly good enough to take any animal in the world, so thats what id pick. if its got to take a beating a scoped rifle may not be a good choice at all due tot he optics but at the distances you mentioned then peep sights on at 45-70 will work magnificently

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 11-24-2002, 09:35 PM

Kodiak, you're going to drive them crazy with that one! What you're describing sounds like an Alaskan guide's gun - go with the Marlin Lever Action in either 45-70 or 450 Marlin, 444's whimpy by comparison and grizzly bears is no place for anything lite, 30-06's included. Skip the bolt action long guns - too slow for the second shot and not compact nor handy compared to the carbine. I'm sure it will handle the hogs just fine!
EKM

Good judgement comes from bad experience! Half of elk hunting is knowing what NOT to do!
Old 11-24-2002, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guide's type gun is what I had in mind.I just threw in the salty old '06 as food of thought.

BeaverJack,
What are your thoughts? Being the elk killinist' guy I know, what do you say about 45-70's? I like the feel to a 444 myself. What kind of bullets would be best (45-70) for an out west grab bag hunt with elk and mulies and such beasts like that? What's the effective range on a 45-70 as compaired to the 444 assuming I can hit reasonably well?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-24-2002, 11:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

The .444 is too whimpy? Are you kidding me? It's capable of taking anything in North America with room to spair! Go to Corbons web site http://www.corbon.com/ and take a look at their ballistics tables on the two rounds. They load to about max pressures so you will get a good comparison of the 45-70 and the .444. Either one will do the job that you require and do it well.

Edited by - bigbulls on 11/25/2002 00:50:32
Old 11-25-2002, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70, and it'll put anything that you shoot down with authority, assuming you use the right bullets.

For deer, the factory 300 gr. is hard to beat out to 150-200 yds. For large or dangerous game (moose/griz/cape buffalo) look at the 540 gr. Garrett Hammerhead, or the Buffalo Bore ammo.

The 444 will do everything that you need for it to do, including griz, if you use premium ammo such as the CorBon or Buffalo Bore loads.

I prefer the 45-70 b/c bullet weights are much heavier. The heaviest 444 ammo i've seen was about 350 gr, whereas the 45-70 can spit out 540 gr. of lead.

I wouldn't pick the corbon 45-70 ammo as my number one bear medicine b/c it isn't loaded very hot. Look for Garrett or Buffalo Bore in 45-70.

Old 11-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Other than the long guns, what would be a good side-arm to go along with them? I'm not a big fan of hearing loss so lets try to get something that I can still hear the birds sing after I shoot it. The desert eagle 50 cal? no thats to expencive and got a little to much @$$ for me. I was thinking the 45-70 or 444 with a 41 rem mag as a backup? I want a handgun that is comfortable to shoot more than one that leaves a big hole. Something more along the lines of a gun to plunk around with and to finish game off if need be to save a big bore bullet. Like the 45 cal, That might be good?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know about you, but I am dying to get one of those new 480 Rugers. Maybe a little heavier than what you're talking about but it would be one hell of a backup handgun. The reviews I have read say the recoil isn't too bad especially in the Taurus raging bull with the ported barrel.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My ears are ringing already. I shot a 357 mag last year. 1 shot and I couldn't hear much for about 3 days. Maybe something bigger wouldn't be as shrill? The only other handguns I've shot was a 9mm (it wasn't bad at all) and a 45 (really liked it alot but I was wearing earplugs. Can you hunt big game with a .45? I mean for like 20 yard shots and stuff.

While we're on the topic of handguns, one time me and my buddy were driving around when the truck in front of us hit a little deer. He didn't stop, just honked and kept on driving. The deer couldn't get up but was very alive. We called the game warden to ask if we could finish the deer and keep it for the meat (it was after deer season so we had to ask) he said it was ok. Well, the only thing we had with us was my friend's 9mm glock and one of my hunting knives. The deer took two brain shots and I still had to finish it with my knife. Maybe it was the bullets? I've never seen anything need more than one shot in the noggin. I guess that's why 9mm's are illegal for deer hunting but how would the .45 fair with the right bullets?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.