Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 New bear hunter, couple questions.... >

New bear hunter, couple questions....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New bear hunter, couple questions....

Old 11-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New bear hunter, couple questions....

Hello everyone, this year I should get drawin for a Wisconsin Bear Tag (this is my 6th point). This will be my first time bear hunting, so I have a few questions for everyone.

* What do you prefer, bait or dogs? I heard dogs are more exciting, but bait is more upclose and personal. (spot and stalk isn't an option since I'm 5hrs away from where I'm going)

* What weapon do you prefer, a rifle, muzzleloader, or a bow? (I'm not sure how good I feel about taking my bow my first time)

* Does anyone know any good bear guides in Norhtern Wisconsin? (zone A or A1)

Thanks
Old 11-28-2006, 07:18 PM

Default RE: New bear hunter, couple questions....

I prefer bait for bears, and I prefer a rifle for hunting them.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM

definitely rifle. I prefer bait, but you are more likely to get a bear with dogs.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:58 AM

I think running them with dogs would be more exciting, but you might see more over an active bait sight. You get a chance to size them up when over bait. I would use a muzzleloader.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Use a rifle for your first time then you can try other weapons. Get a kill under you belt first then move to bow then all others will come just as exciting.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:47 AM

hello...........i have hunted bears for many years........and i have some very god tips..but for now..let me tell you this..wisconsin alternates from one year to the next between bait and dog hunters having the first week........depending on what year you get your tag....you may have to make some changes if you want to hunt over bait or with dogs............i prefer bait and i always hunt with a bow..........if you have harvested deer before...bears should be easy..and wisconsin has a very good population of huge black bears..........if you are more comfortable with a gun...then use that............but if you decide to hunt with a bow..........make sure that the bait is placed inside of a v-shaped area that forces the bear to offer you a quartering shot...this is very important..........and i also suggest you use a string tracker since bears can travel a good distance before dropping their first drop of blood..........their hide absorbs it well............good luck and let me know where you end up hunting.......i willl not get my tag for sveeral years but i am always in the spooner/ hayward area and there are plenty of bears there...................