Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt? >

Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 PM

Default RE: Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

At the head of the trail their is an old single room log prospecting cabin,
just the remnants of it so three years ago I took my 30 year old whites metal detector out to see what we might find. Well only had five minutes at end of hunt to check but I found an acme cold handle 24" fry panearly 1900's I would like to go check out some sites further in with a more up to date detector hear is a pic of one of the old cabins some 8 miles from nearest road.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a very small pic. Do you have anything larger?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

My family own land in Nebraska, and on that land there's a Lakota holy site. It's a burial ground, and the Lakota would mainly bury horses there, but they also buried people there too.

When my great-grandfather was a small boy, in the early 1900s, probably around WWI, these archeologists came and excavated the site, looking for two people that had been buried there.

There was a legend behind those two people, one was a brave, the other was an Indian princess(this is going to sound very stereotypical, but here it goes!).

The brave fell in love with the princess, but her father wouldn't let them get married, so the brave and the princess jumped off a butte together, and they hit the ground below the butte whichthen became the holy site.

The archeologists dug up the two bodies, and then they took them to a musem(with my great-great-grandfather's permission,of course), where they are today. There are horses still buried there, and I guess the people would be buried with stuff, probably valueable, but we don't want to dig them up, it's disrespectful, and the Lakotas would get really mad. Probably some medicine men would send us death threats or something.

My grandpa once found a rusted upmini revolverout there. It's not usable anymore, because the hammer is rotted away, and so is the trigger, and the chambers don't revolve. The sights are still there, the bullets rotted away,but it's a reall cool gun.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Actually found a man's diamond ring off a trail near Chena Hot Springs, near Fairbanks. It was buried most of the way in the dirt, I just saw a semi circular object and pried it out with my knife. Initials engraved inside were barely legible. There was all kinds of crud caked on it and it looked to have been there for quite awhile. Took it home and cleaned it up. After cleaning, the initials were no clearer and really couldn't make them out. We checked with the folks that ran the Hot Springs resort at the time and gave them our phone # in case someone had reported losing a ring. That was close to 25 years ago and my Dad still has that ring ( I think). I do wish we could have found the owner, but it could have been anyone, from years back. In fact the crud we scraped off it could have been old bear crap and the owner may have been lunch for all we know.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Smiths cabin

Old 11-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

the best thing i've found was a ladder stand on our farms ridge, only my uncle dad and i can hunt there and wasn't any of ours, so i had myself a free 15 ft treestand!!! serves em right for trying to hunt where they weren't suppose to!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:15 PM

The most interesting thing I have found in the woods was a daypack and quiver full of arrows hanging in my treestand. I also found my friends handgun he uses for hunting out in the woods once. He left it to track a deer on my land and couldn't find it later. So about two days later I went looking for it and found it about 40yds from his blind.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM

one weekend mydad went out down to where we hunt, this big half section place. hunting in the snow and he lost a deer call in the snow. I found it 2 weekslater when wewalked that same place , even had squirrel nibblings on it. thing is a little smaller than a small wallet. so its quite a tiny thing to find ina big ole place.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Found several things. I don't what it is about this place during dove season but for some reason, people forget about these things. I've found:

3 Knives
2 Chairs
1 Shotgun *
6 boxes of un-used shells
2 sets of keys
1 Dog **
1 Bag of weed***

* I figured the guy who lost it would come back the next day but the chances of someone else finding it and keeping was likely since it was close to being dark time I found it. I kept it in my truck and went out there for the following few days. Three days later the owner came back looking for it. I told him that I had found it and kept it safe keeping and if he didn't come back, i would have returned it to the police department is hopes they would be able to track him down to return it. He was thankful and offered me award money but I declined.

** I think this dog might have jumped out or fell out of someone's truck.It had a tag with the number of the owners so I called from my cell phone to let them know they were short one dog; Thankfully they only lived 15 minutes away. He fetched few of my birds for me before they came back lol

*** Its not uncommon for teenagers to go out there and smoke weed so i'm guessing it was left there during the day rather then actual hunting (I hope)

Old 12-02-2006, 02:09 PM

what did you do with the bag of smoke?

Quick Reply: Have you ever found a Knife or other gear while on the hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.