Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Age that meat!!

Old 11-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Default Age that meat!!

Common topic around the camp fire... Do you need to age wild game or not?

I know this has been covered before and the topic has been well explained... BUT! I had a new processor do my deerand my family and I can not get enough of it!
Almost beef-like in taste, tenderness, and texture. Unreal.
Where deer used to be 3rd on our list, it is now FIRST!
Reason: The processor said they age wild game 10 - 14 days. I kind of wondered (and a little annoyed) at why they took so long to get my deer back to me.

I know what you naysayers are thinking, I'm just saying try it... you'll like it!

Old 11-25-2006, 06:31 PM

Default RE: Age that meat!!

I age my deer the same amount of time and i find the flavor is alot better cause i find there isnt as much wild taste to it as compared to when you cut it up right away.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

We have all Grain Fed Mule deer and its great regardless of aging or not. I usually don't age it at all but have in the past and really couldn't see much if any difference.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

The processor said they age wild game 10 - 14 days.

I know what you naysayers are thinking, I'm just saying try it... you'll like it!

What temperature did he age it at?

Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, totally agree. A few years back me and my buddie shot a buck and a doe in Jan and skinned and hung them in my shed for about 9 days in a constant 32-35 degree temp. It was just pure lazyness that we left them in there for that long. Most of the timewe cut themthe next day. After we cut them I cooked some back strap from the buck in the broiler and man it was soooooo tender you could cut it with a fork! I laughed at my buddie saying I hope that old buck he shot taste good cause the doe strap was just like butter. Then he told me to look at the writing on the packageing and sure enough it was the buck? I cooked some of the doe and the same result. Less game teste more flavor and as tender as a $24 fillet mignon. Now I skin them, hangthem on my own then take them to the processor but sometimes the butcher willage them for me (provided he has the space) It was the best lazyest thingI ever did LOLTry it you will see.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it was common knowledge to hang your deer for at least a week! Everyone I know does it. I hang mine for several days but it depends on the tempurature. If I can get an August cow to the butcher I'll have him hang it for at least 7 days. I commonly hang from 7-14 days.

It gives the enzymes and bacteria time to break down the connective tissue, resulting in more tender cuts and alot of times a more mellow flavor.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:48 PM

I didn't ask but I suspect it was in their cooler which would have to be in that 35-40 degree range. You wouldn't want to do it in a warm garage. Meat will spoil. My nephew did that. Whole thing was bone sour. Nucklehead!
Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

I didn't ask but I suspect it was in their cooler which would have to be in that 35-40 degree range. You wouldn't want to do it in a warm garage. Meat will spoil. My nephew did that. Whole thing was bone sour. Nucklehead!
I've hung them just fine in my garage. As long as it's below 50 or maybe a little more you're ok for at least a couple of days. Also, assuming it's getting down to sub 40 or low 40s at night.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up on a ranch, and we always aged all the animals we killed and butcherd. We hanged the animal by hind quarters for 7 to 10 days at 35 degrees. If the animal was quartered, the front quarters were hung by the ribs. Aged meet makes all the difference in the world. [8D][8D]Good luck.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 AM

I try to keep the temp around 32-40 degrees but you also dont want your meat to freeze before cutting it so you want to keep the meat cool enough to reduce the amount of bacteria growth on the meat so it doesnt spoil but you also dont want it to freeze then thaw when cutting it cause then you will freeze it after and most of us no that not good to do that to meat cause it ruins it.

Quick Reply: Age that meat!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.