Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 the 338 federal is looking promising >

the 338 federal is looking promising

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

the 338 federal is looking promising

Old 11-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: the 338 federal is looking promising

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

ORIGINAL: James B

I was just reading Fererals first release article on the 338 Federal. They state in the artical that the 338 Feraderal will drive the same weight bullet 200 fps faster than the 308.
The two 180 gr. Federal loads are only 90 fps apart. So much for that idea.
Obviously they were referring to the standard .308 load, not the light magnum. The .338 180 grain is 210 fps faster than the .308 180 grain standard load.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Obviously they were referring to the standard .308 load, not the light magnum. The .338 180 grain is 210 fps faster than the .308 180 grain standard load.
Mere semantics. I proved the statement wrong now all the sudden it needs a qualifier....
Old 11-09-2006, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't see how you proved anything wrong. They were referring to the standard .308. I suspect if sales are good on the .338, that they'll introduce a light magnum load for it as well. Then we can compare a .308 light magnum to a .338 light magnum. Apples to apples.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

They are talking here about the capacity of the cartridge to drive bullets of the same weight. It has nothing to do with which load they choose. Maybe its because the case capacity increases, maybe it a wider bearing surface on the base of the bullet. I can't explain it but it holds true with most necked up versions.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That would be a big part of it James..more surface loading area at the base of the bullet as well. After reading this..I have come to the conclusion that some people just love to type and if this were a race he would have done 25 laps already as many circles as he has talked in...no names mentioned Got an answer for everything...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of us with broken bones have typing time too [:@]. Tomorrow its time to rev up the wheel chair and head down deer hunting.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:57 PM

Would someone else explain to the ,know it all, that he is totally full of ****.
By putting a larger caliber bullet in the same case you can and will often see velocity increases. There is a larger surface area for the powder to apply itself too. Now I'm no physicist (sp) but I've seen it first hand. I get sick of your attitude. Jesus, you've done it all I guess. You're a scientist (whodisregards proof), a Game & fish agent (who kills hundreds of elk), and now you were a gun dealer (who only owns two weapons). I think it is abundantly clear that you are a BS artist
Old 11-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

This phenomenonhappens in all the .308 based cases. The 140 gr. .260 is a little slower than the 140 gr. 7mm-08. The 140 gr. 7mm-08 is slower than the 150 gr. .308. And, the 180 gr. .308 is slower than the 180 gr. .338.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is why you have no idea wtf you're talking about. They are the same case!! It's not possible with the same case capacity.
No crap they are the same case. I am an actual certified gunsmith and I know exactly what a .338 Federal is.And yes it is absolutely possible and is done all the time. Go back to your physics class becasue it is pretty basic stuff.60,000psi pushing againstthe base of a bullet with alarger surface area will be able to propel that object at a higher velocity than the same 60,000psi pushing against the base of a bullet witha smaller surface area. I am not talking about "hot loading" anything. That 60,000psi is able to do more "work" on the bullet with the basethat has thelarger surface area. It's physics and deny it all you want, it will not matter becasue you will continue to be wrong.

What do you think HE and LM loads are...hotloaded!
Federal and Hornady DO NOT, under any circumstances,"hot load" anything. They are regulated by SAAMI and must keep their pressure levels well under a safe maximum standards set by SAAMI. I can just see them "hot loading" a cartridge to about 75 - 80,000psi and then someone chambering it in tight chambered gun or one with slightly excessive headspace and killing themselves. Yeah, they "hot load" all the time. You should really just quit before your hole gets any deeper.

It really doesn't matter who you claim to have talked to it isn't the case with the HE loads from these two companies. They use a powder combination, that is not available to the public, that is able to produce these higher velocities and still maintain safe pressure levels.

I suspect if sales are good on the .338, that they'll introduce a light magnum load for it as well. Then we can compare a .308 light magnum to a .338 light magnum. Apples to apples.
That's pretty much the only leg he has to stand on in this argument. And as soon as they introduce a HE load, and they will,that leg will get chopped off as well.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:12 PM
DM

So no, a .338 Federal cannot push a heavier, larger caliber bullet faster than the same case pushing a smaller, .308 bullet. Physics doesn't allow that sorry.
This just isn't true, i've seen it many times in the years i was wildcatting cartridges up and down. When you neck a cartridge up, because of the bigger bore of the bbl. you have just changed the expansion ratio. You now can use "more" powder for the same weight bullet the smaller borehad and that meanshigher velocity with the same chamber pressure....

I guess they didn't teach you that in physics class....

DM

Quick Reply: the 338 federal is looking promising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.