Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 the 338 federal is looking promising >

the 338 federal is looking promising

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

the 338 federal is looking promising

Old 11-07-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: the 338 federal is looking promising

ORIGINAL: James B

My 308 loads come from the Sierra and Barnes Manuals. I took the top velocity load from each. Like I said, I don't shoot factory loads so I can't really compare them. I will have to check the Federal catalog and see how it compares to the chronographed loads from my Manuals. One other thing I would have to add is that I would have to chronograph the Fedeeral loads as well because seldom do factory loads produce their advertised velocities in standard rifles as they often use longer pressure barrels to come up with their stats. Anyway the comparison listed above on the 338-06 and 30-06 would hold very close to those of the 308 and 338 Federal. I can only be sure when I start working with the 338 Federal.
They use 24" barrels with ASAMMI test chambers at minimum dimensions.

That is irrelevant when comparing the two loads, as I did, because they are measured the same way. I'm not necessarily interested in the acutal number as I am in comparing the two.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:46 PM

Holy christ, Brutal!!!!! Did you even READ MY POST. I Completely explained how I got those numbers. Go backto page 4, 3rd and 5th post,and see where I got my numbers.You are so concerned with being right that you can't even admit when someone has clearly disproved your argument. I'm using published numbers and a Ballistic calculator. I GIVE UP! I don't care if you "buy" it or not the facts are the facts. One thing is for sure you have enough ego for two or three men.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some folks choose to live in a bubble. Thats ok, everyone else gets it.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

Holy christ, Brutal!!!!! Did you even READ MY POST. I Completely explained how I got those numbers. Go backto page 4, 3rd and 5th post,and see where I got my numbers.You are so concerned with being right that you can't even admit when someone has clearly disproved your argument. I'm using published numbers and a Ballistic calculator. I GIVE UP! I don't care if you "buy" it or not the facts are the facts. One thing is for sure you have enough ego for two or three men.
Relax man. I read your post. I did the same thing you did. I went and got the load data for two published loads using the same powder and I plugged the info into a ballistic calculator.

I'm not wrong. I was comparing a different load then the rest of you.

The 600 ft/lb difference isn't because the .338 is so much better. It's because the .308 loads you guys are comparing are apparently way underpowered compared to the one I was using.

Old 11-07-2006, 02:30 PM

James,

I don't know why I beat my head against that wall.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think its time to save the wall any further damage.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Brutal, I would really really REALLY like to know what other cartridges you actually own other than the .308.

With the way you talk I am absolutely sure that you would certainly not have any that would only duplicate the performance of another in your collection.

Just because you get great groups with your light mag loads does not, by any means, say that all "HE" and "light mag" loads are going to be accurate. Usually the opposite is true. These high energy loads are most often not the most accurate load for most people. Besides that fact. You can not use them in a semi auto rifle so if you own a BAR, 7400, R1, etc... I guess those folks are just SOL.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Brutal, I would really really REALLY like to know what other cartridges you actually own other than the .308.

With the way you talk I am absolutely sure that you would certainly not have any that would only duplicate the performance of another in your collection.

Just because you get great groups with your light mag loads does not, by any means, say that all "HE" and "light mag" loads are going to be accurate. Usually the opposite is true. These high energy loads are most often not the most accurate load for most people. Besides that fact. You can not use them in a semi auto rifle so if you own a BAR, 7400, R1, etc... I guess those folks are just SOL.
Anyoe who knows anything about shooting knows that every gun has certain loads it likes more than others. The probability of that being an HE or "other" load is equal and there is no way you can correlate LM or HE loads with decreased accuracy but feel free to try.

Who said you "can not use them in a semi auto rifle"? It's not reccomended. Not that it matters. The fact that it's not reccomended for a certain action doesn't mean it's somehow inferior. Quite the contrary actually.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

This looks like a prime cartridge to rebarrel my "beloved" 243 to.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would be a good one. Kind of rounds out your arsenal.

Quick Reply: the 338 federal is looking promising

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.