Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Im Back......

Old 11-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default Im Back......

From the selway, didnt get an elk, heck didnt even see an elk, just couldnt find them this year. I destroyed a brand new pairof Irish Setter boots walking and glassing but nogood. I have one place way back in that I know always has a few elk running around but alas I ran into a pack of wolves on the way in and darn if they didnt keep going out the trail right into my hunting area, needless to say I didnt see anything. Man are wolves an impressive animal, much bigger than I thought. Besides wolves, I saw a small black bear, 13 bighorns, and a whole bunch of deer.
I took some pics of the wolf tracks, to give you guys an idea of justhow big they are, they were gone to fast to get of picture of them. Also took pics thru my spotting scope of the sheep, kinda blurry, but I did blow a pic of the one ram up, sure looks like a good one. Anyway Im about as beat up as I can be, bone tired I guess would be a good word for it lol.

Heres the top of the one mountain I walked up one morning, that real little sliver way down there is the road.

Big Horn Sheep

Camp Buckshot

Wolf track w/ 7mm Rem mag cartridge

Wolf track w/ my hand print

Big horn ram, kind blurry but you get the idea

And last but not least me, climbing indian ridge trail

Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Im Back......

Well, at least you know where to go ram hunting next year!
Sounds like you had a good time though, have a nice rest, and wake up sore in the morn'!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you got to go and I promise I won't complain about the ridges I walk any more.
Thanks for the pic's
BBJ
Old 11-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks BBJ, I was a little jumpy my first night out there by my lonesome, heard a twig snap while sitting around the camp fire the first night and I had my rifle in my hand so quick it would make your head spin. But after that I was cool, it was a little boring once I got back to camp, company sucked . The last night I was there a a big storm came in, I walked out of the woods 2 miles from the truck and walked back in that storm, huge trees were falling all around me, very scary in the dark, I spent the walk looking at trees in the flash light making sure I wasent going to get waffled. And to make matters worse a truck drove by without offering a lift [:-]. Once back in camp I put my ear plugs in so I wouldnt hear the tree that got me, figured it was better not to know lol.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:05 PM

Sincerely curious,

If you could pick only one, which would you pick?

(A) The experience of seeing the wolves.
or
(B) The experience of getting your elk.

A or B?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Seeing the wolves was cool, but I cant hunt them, so hands down B.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:34 PM

Looks like you had fun, someday Im going on one of those trips.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics. Too bad you didn't have a bighorn tag! Sorry you didn't get your elk. When you get up...if you can get out of bed, go get a massage! It'll do wonders for you!
Old 11-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to hear you made it back safe and sound Buckshot. I was hopin there was gonna be elk pictures when I saw your thread had an attachment. Good pics none the less. How many wolves did you see??
and did they see you (If so, I was wondering about their reaction...If I was in the back country and they seemed curious/investigative (towards me), it probably wouldn't take me long to practice the "three S" or at least the first "S" out of 3 ....if possible. Tracks look HUGE.

Too bad there aren't any "wolf tags" to be had.

I'm sure your already planning your next hunt..good luck on that as well.

hb
Old 11-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice hunt, no luck.

Quick Reply: Im Back......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.