Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My 2006 Moose Hunt

Old 10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My 2006 Moose Hunt

Well, this year there was six of us hunting. Me, my dad, my uncle and his 3 friends. We live in the area, but they live in "Bad Ontario" so they had to drive 20ish hours to get to the spot, it took us 30 minutes [8D]Anyways, I get there Friday after work and camps set up, and everybody's pumped for the hunt tommorow

Saturday we wake up, and the winds blowing, a lot harder then you'd like for moose hunting/calling, but we thought we could still end up with some success. So, me and my dad go off on the lake to do some calling, and the rest go off on there own, with one saying he'd be on the powerline. We were party hunting, so we had one bull tag, and 5 calf tags. What I thought the rule was, you heard a shot, turn radio on until everybody checks in. After an incident last year (don't get me started [:@]) I tried to make this clear. Anyways, around 9 on Saturday, BOOM on the powerline. So we're on the radio, and one guy doesn't check in. So me and my dad paddle close to the powerline, and finally find him. He didn't turn his radio on because he didn't shoot [:@]The evening produced nothing

(That's me, the "PH" trying to call in a bull. You can see my trusty ol' .35 Whelen over my shoulder)

Sunday morning was windy again, and my mom came out on her first ever hunt and the wind was a blowing. Nothing in the morning and nothing at night or so I thought. We get back to camp and we're talking, and apparently, one guy got "charged" by amoose. He was walking one way down a trail, and two other guys were heading the other ay on the Gator to pick him up when they jumped a bull. It took off down the trail and almost hit the single guy [:-]

Monday........my last day to hunt unless I could confince my boss to give me time off work I sat on an island this morning, and tried to call, because it had calmed down a bit and the weather had turned chilly-willy for the beginning of October Here's whatI saw

What I woulda paid for my Mossy 12 gauge, ducks all over the place

My "artsy" shot, looks really bad shrunk like it is.

Anyways, my dad picks me up in the canoe, and we hear a KA-BOOM from the powerline. We get on the radio and hear "I hitta bull right in the chest" then from another over the next hill "I could hear it thrashing around, then it just went quiet" Me and my dad were thinking, could this get any better. The bull was down, on the powerline so they could drag it out with a 4-Wheeler and I think it might of been the guy's last year of hunting. He has arthritis, and isn't it the best conditon.
So we get there, and see where he shot from, where it was standing, etc. The shot was about 100 yards, frontal witha .300, so I was thinking, good, the bull's down. Nope, thats not happening. We looked and looked. We spent well over 10 hours that day looking for him, and my dad went back the next morning and nothing. At the site of the shot, there was no hair, no blood, no nothing. We didn't findANY blood the whole time. We don't have any idea what happened, but he never found that bull again. We grided the whole swamp that he was saw in, and we figured that if he could escape us from there, he wasn't in too bad of shape. The shooter said later that he may have missed him.

I would like to honestly say, that's how it ended, but it's not. Tuesday, I go in,get Wednesday off and tell me teachers I won't be there and head home. My mom hands me the weather forcast, SERVERE WINTER STORM WARNING[:-]So we head out to camp, planning to stay, but the was some "arguing" about the whole thing. In the end, with some very ticked off people, camp was packed up, and they spent the night at our house. We woke to about 1 cm of snow. They left at about 7:30am. Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to let you guys know how our hunt went.

P.S. We just got a call, they shot a calf. They were driving, saw a cow and a calf, and BOOM, the calf went down.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 AM

Default RE: My 2006 Moose Hunt

Sorry to hear about the moose that isn't down and the fight, o well what are ya gonna do.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Crap happeneds, didn't turn out in your favor... [:@]
Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 PM

Happends to everyone, I really wanted to se how that hunt went. I remeber your msn name "moose hunting in 10 days" thanks for sharing,
Old 10-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Gosh Cory, just one of those hunts partner, you'll get'um next time. Best of luck on the next one!
Old 10-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Gosh Cory, just one of those hunts partner, you'll get'um next time. Best of luck on the next one!
Hope so, and just so you know, my dad was carrying the ol' Swede
Old 10-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: KonaBoy

Hope so, and just so you know, my dad was carrying the ol' Swede
10-4,I hear it!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Too bad!
Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Nice pictures. You will get one . Just keep trying. Best of luck to you.