Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Cow call?

Old 09-23-2006, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Best Cow call?

Just wondering what all you experianced elk hunters like for a cow call. Going on my first trip soon and want to know.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:33 AM

Default RE: Best Cow call?

If its your first ek hunt i recomend the hoochie mama because its easy to use and sounds good. It has three different mews so mix and match as you seee fit. I use that one along with a mouth call quaker herd master i think. I like that call because it is louder and alot more versatile but u must practice a bit more with this call. Hoochie mama is good to have along even if it is not your #1 go to call because you can use the call with your hand and at the same time use your mouth call to imitate more than one cow.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:21 PM

I use squeeze calls, mouth calls, diaphrams, and even my bugle tube. Frankly, I have gone through a battery of calls while working a bull. Sometimes, you will have a particular call that a bull just loves, and on that day, that is your best call. I like the sound of the Hoochie Mama, however, you are pretty limited with the sounds you can make. Carlton Calls makes a similiar squeeze call that gives you much more calling flexibility depending on where you place your finger, and how long/hard you squeeze it.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 AM

If you are a Turkey hunter and have used diaohrams, you can't go wrong with one of those. I prefer double and triple reed calls. Hands free and can make any cow/calf sound as well as bugles, chuckles, and grunts. Most realistic and versitile.
BUT! . . . If you gag just thinkin' about a diaphram in your mouth, I have to recommend the Primos Hyper Lip Single with Tone Converter. Mylar reed call that is easy to use, versitile, and WORKS! The Hoochie mama is foolproof as well and is hands free. I guess some guys tape it to their bow to squeeze after the shot which calms the elk down.
BUT . . . If you aren't good at any of them, leave them all in the truck.
They all take practice, practice, practice. And not in camp!
Good hunting . . .
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM

The Hoochie Mamma is very easy to use and sounds pretty good. For your first time, I think that's what would work best. If you can use a diaphram, use both that and the Hochie Mamma like Hiawatha said.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Fork Horn

Ive only used one, so I cant say that I have a vast amount of experience, but the couple times I used it, it worked amazingly. Its called "Fighting-Cow" and is made by carlsons calls. Get it, its great.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

E. J. Sceery, or Abe & Sons cow calls. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a number and most work pretty well, howevermy most used are the Primos Imperial Palate diaphram(red - double), hyper lip single(reed) and hoochie mama. While the Hoochie is limited it does replicate a great mew, I leave mine on the middle setting and squeeze it while blowing via mouth. By far the diaphrams are the most flexible interms of calls and I wouldn't hunt without one in my cheek.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Hoochie Mama along with the single and double Hyper Lips!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:39 PM

I have the double hyper lips. LOVE IT.

Quick Reply: Best Cow call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.