Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

grizzly caliber

Old 10-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Spike

Default RE: grizzly caliber

I am well aware of the differences in the 50 cal bmg and the 50 cal black powder, I was mocking another blogger. The state of Alaska does not require certain guns, it only "recomends certain guns". That is why most big game hunts up there require a guide for Non-residents.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:47 PM

ORIGINAL: tjfslaughter

I am well aware of the differences in the 50 cal bmg and the 50 cal black powder, I was mocking another blogger. The state of Alaska does not require certain guns, it only "recomends certain guns". That is why most big game hunts up there require a guide for Non-residents.
Exactly,this is about the attitude of the hunter versus the game..Many hunters piss their pants when they come to face with wild animals...They are not prepared for what is to come if they .... up....It all comes down to the hunter...
Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 PM

well... i know for a fact that after shooting my grizzly this fall, that shot placement was the only thing that made my bear drop. i shot mine with a Ruger mini-14, with 55 grain remanufactured softpoints. i recoverrd 2 bullets, and the rest passed through, i jumped my bear at 60 yards, shot him once standing still, and 4 more times on the run, then i ran 400 yards, reloaded and finished him with 2 more shots at over 300 yards i hit him 2 times in his heart, and peppered his lungs, he ran 300 yards, and then swam 300 yards. i would never shoot another one without my 7mm rem mag. although less does the trick in a pinch
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: AkhunterTeen

well... i know for a fact that after shooting my grizzly this fall, that shot placement was the only thing that made my bear drop. i shot mine with a Ruger mini-14, with 55 grain remanufactured softpoints. i recoverrd 2 bullets, and the rest passed through, i jumped my bear at 60 yards, shot him once standing still, and 4 more times on the run, then i ran 400 yards, reloaded and finished him with 2 more shots at over 300 yards i hit him 2 times in his heart, and peppered his lungs, he ran 300 yards, and then swam 300 yards. i would never shoot another one without my 7mm rem mag. although less does the trick in a pinch

Old 10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Dominant Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: AkhunterTeen

i jumped my bear at 60 yards, shot him once standing still, and 4 more times on the run, then i ran 400 yards, reloaded and finished him with 2 more shots at over 300 yards i hit him 2 times in his heart, and peppered his lungs, he ran 300 yards, and then swam 300 yards.

JOHOVAWITZ!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think the old bear might have died of old age after all of that.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

I think the old bear might have died of old age after all of that.
LOL
Old 10-13-2006, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Hmm well back to the original question about minimum caliber for Grizzly.
Gee I just don't know that I would want to flirt with the Minimum on a animal that could turn ME into the one being hunted. I think I would opt for something in the mid to higher range to hunt the beast when my life has a chance at being at stake.Especially if I am inexperienced enough to have to ask the question to a bunch of folks on the internet.
It seems to me to error on the side of too big than just the minimum.
Just my opinion
Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

Rumor has it that a 223 is a great grizzly bear round....
Old 10-22-2006, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: tjfslaughter

You mean cartridges, right, and not guns? Why would my state F&G not allow some guns brands, but allow others? Also, non-residents only need a guide to hunt brown/grizzly bears, sheep, and goat. Everything else can be hunted and killed on a DIY-type of hunt, if you were so inclined.

You have your facts badly contorted and that's not a good thing on a public forum, especially for the other people who might be reading your posts. Don't confuse them.

Quick Reply: grizzly caliber

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.