Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic >

Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic

Old 09-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic

With the Bear season opening in Montana tomarrow thought I would leave the weapons at home and sting some power cable up instead.
I guess the real story here was the power company received a outage call and when they arrived found this nice Bear electrocuted trying to eat a power cable.

Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic

I got and email of that pic and i believe it happened up north in Alaska somewhere.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I guess I got to check out this site a little more as it was posted here on Hunting.net.
Two brown bears prowling separate parts of Anchorage have made deep trouble for themselves -- with one already dead after biting into a power line.
[/align]A 600-pound brown bear made its way to the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail on the edge of Kincaid Park and was killed when it opened a utility box and bit into a live electrical wire Thursday.
[/align]And south of town, a young brown bear among the bruin crowd that has been roaming Bird Creek this summer is slated to be killed after flattening tents in two incidents at the nearby campground. State biologist Rick Sinnott said a trap was set for the bear Thursday.
[/align]Black bears are commonly seen in Anchorage during summer, but their bigger counterparts, brown bears, are far more rare.
[/align]A child discovered the electrocuted bear Thursday morning while riding her bicycle on the Sisson Loop trail, a dirt path in the northern part of the park, said Robert Hughes, recreation supervisor at Kincaid. The bear was 50 yards from the popular Coastal Trail, traveled by hundreds of pedestrians, bicyclists and others every day.
[/align]The bear found at Kincaid was a healthy adult male that had made its way to the park either by passing through the residential areas near the park, by coming up from Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge or by swimming across Cook Inlet, Sinnott speculated.
[/align]Sinnott estimated the bear to weigh more than 600 pounds: "He's one of the bigger brown bears I've seen in Anchorage."
[/align]He said he would not likely be able to age the animal because its teeth were burned from the electrocution.
Thursday afternoon, the 7-foot animal, stiff in death, lay on its side. The bear still had the wire in its mouth, its tongue and teeth burned and blackened. A patch of grass under the left foot was singed. The smell of scorched meat hung in the air.
[/align]The bear found the two wires -- about the thickness of vacuum cords -- by first ripping off a 3-foot high protective plastic box. It appeared that almost instantly when the bear bit into the wire, it was electrocuted. "It didn't thrash much, it was pretty quick," Sinnott said.
[/align]Bears like to chew on plastic, said Sinnott, who was not surprised the bruin was curious about the box and its contents. "I don't know what they get out of it, but they are curious and he might have tried to investigate it just because it's rubber or plastic."
[/align]The bear bit into 5,000 volts of energy, according to a Chugach Electric Association spokesman Phil Steyer, who said the apparatus did not belong to the company but likely to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, the owner of the land where the bear was found.
[/align]Steyer said the company often deals with birds or squirrels that are electrocuted, but in his 19 years on the job, he's never heard of anything close to the size of a brown bear being killed by the wires.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:19 PM

That would have be a first no matter what the true story is.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's a heck of a way to go ,just imagine being the one to find this brute.

nubo
Old 09-19-2006, 03:40 PM

I guess I'll never chew on a power line!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:03 PM
Spike

don't pee on one either!
Old 10-09-2006, 08:01 PM

Cool story! Maybe I could get a job with the power company as a preventative maintenance hunter.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:05 PM

Good thing is the bear comes pre-cooked!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM

All sorts of predators seem to get sideways of electrical lines....

Quick Reply: Large Bear Taken New Hunting Tactic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.