Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Renting satellite phone

Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Renting satellite phone

Has anyone rented a satellite phone for use in remote areas lacking cell phone service? I am going on a solo backpacking trip to hunt elk in a wilderness area and am looking at renting a satellite phone for a week. (Satellite phones do not use cell towers but satellites orbiting the earth and provide signals everywhere -- middle of the ocean, in the middle of a dessert, in a mountain wilderness.)
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Renting satellite phone

One of the websites that I work on he uses his Sat phone all the time. I am sure he could provide you with some answers to any questions you might have. Feel free to contact him http://www.stevescott.tv/contact.

See ya
Old 09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

We take one to our camp as well. Like most things in life.........only worth the cost if you need it. Here's hoping you never do and always complaining about the cost.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

around here we use sat phones dailey-both fixed dish (For internet)and hand helds.Only 2 systems right now iridium and global star. Iridium has sats that rotate pole to pole but global star sats parrallel the equator. I'd go Iridium myseld, bit more dependanble right now. both systems are super but onlt iridium works way north.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:37 PM

I believe cascade outfitters and REI both rent Sat phones. Not too expensive unless you use it.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 AM

Those things are amazing. We rented one for a Dall sheep hunt in the Tok wilderness in Alaska, and we were able to bag our sheep early, haul butt back to the landing strip and call the guide using the satellite phone to come pick us up early so that we could drive back down to Soldotna and fish for silvers the rest of the trip. If you're going solo like you plan, I think it would be worth the money. Just be sure to take it back as soon as possible- especially if you get done early. It will save you a lot of $.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does anyone have information about how well these satellite phones operate in a rugged mountain environment? This issue is that there are deeply cleft, at least relatively speaking, valleys in the mountains and this may interfere with line-of-sight communication with the satellites. Is this a problem or something to be concerned about? I can bring this up with the dealer who provides rentals, of course, but their response may be a little biased. If you respond, please distinguish between Irridium and Globalstar satellite phones. The satellite constellations are different between these two services and this may impact the signal availability in the mountains.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

don't worry, use mine in deep mtn valleys all the time. Tou may have to waite 5 minutes or so for signal to optimize. don't forget these sats are moving all the time.
ORIGINAL: Alsatian

Does anyone have information about how well these satellite phones operate in a rugged mountain environment? This issue is that there are deeply cleft, at least relatively speaking, valleys in the mountains and this may interfere with line-of-sight communication with the satellites. Is this a problem or something to be concerned about? I can bring this up with the dealer who provides rentals, of course, but their response may be a little biased. If you respond, please distinguish between Irridium and Globalstar satellite phones. The satellite constellations are different between these two services and this may impact the signal availability in the mountains.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Spike

Rented one on a Northern British Columbia bear hunt. Used it once per day to callhome. Maybe a minute or two each call just to make surethe wife and kidsand everything was OK. Gave me peace of mind.Well worth it.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Spike

www.satellitephonestore.com

I am very happy with them........The have offices in Anchorage and in Florida. Great prices and service. Good Luck..

tom