Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I shot a sick elk.  Recommendations? >

I shot a sick elk. Recommendations?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I shot a sick elk. Recommendations?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 AM
Spike

Default RE: I shot a sick elk. Recommendations?

DO NOT EAT ANY OF THAT MEAT. The animal had 2 problem areas. When peoplehave an infection they get a feverand it usually affects your whole body. The worse the infection the worse you feel. This elk also had that growth on it's rib cage, which you don't have a clue as to what it might be, and you left it behind and now the DOW can't even identify it. I can't believe you going to take chance and eat the meat.Don't expose yourself and family to a possible tragedy for some free meat. It ain't worth it friend!
Old 09-13-2006, 02:27 AM

Isnt tumors on the inside of the rib cage one of the things too look for when checking for bovine TB?.?.?. Im sure thats the reason DOW offered you a new tag.. Get rid of the meat!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

i would of left it for feed.when you are dead from bad meat you are dead for a long time
Old 09-13-2006, 07:56 AM

Talk to the DOW, they might issue you a tag for next year since you already used your vacation and travel for the year. Explain the situation and they just may surprise you. the answer is NO until you ask.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Diffently not worth the risk. I also hoped you washed your hands good.
Sorry to hear of the bad news.
C7
Old 09-13-2006, 03:49 PM

Gross. Dont even feed it to NOBODY or ANYTHING... Animals included.

Try to get a free tag for next year.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

SB,

Like some of the others that responded to your post, I too, would not want the meat based on all the problems you found. I've never been elk hunting, but have killed a whitetail or two and the same with wild hogs with similar problems, I would not dare eat the meat. You can just about bet, with the infections you found, that animal was most likely feverish, and the meat tainted.

dog1
Old 09-15-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very questionable. Not sure I would feed my family with this, and I am a veterinarian. The "tumor" sounds like an abscess (pus pocket) probably started from the initial infection. It would be rare to have a real tumor in such a young animal. It would have been nice to know what the lymph nodes looked like becausethey also give an indication if the infection is in the rest of the body. If the animal is still justquartered andnot processed yet, try and get some lymph nodes and let your vet take a look. May even be able to send them off to a lab and have them examined under a microscope. Mightcost a few bucks, but could give you some useful info. Also, were there any other small "tumor like" structures in the body cavity, possibly around the intestine, liver, etc?

There is no real definative answer here. Just use your good judgement, and if you decide to eat it, cook it well done!
Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

id stop cutting...vomit,,,,..and call the authorities...get another tag and get to hunting
Old 09-17-2006, 02:27 PM

I just want to tell the guy from Kokomo that he better not hunt with that attitude here.YOU might be left for the animals.

Quick Reply: I shot a sick elk. Recommendations?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.