Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk off to a good start

Old 09-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Elk off to a good start

I put this on the bowhunting forum also but here it goes. I spent the last week in elk camp. I helped 2 guys get their elk and passed on a five point, a few spikes, and several cows. I had a chance at the bull I have been after for 5 years and my buddy took a bad shot at him(luckily he missed) and spooked the brute. I will try again, but now have plenty of meat, here is Chris with his first bull with a low hanging transmission. I can't wait to get back after the big guy, he is around a 370-380 bull with lots of mass all the way up. What a treat just to have got to coax him in.........

Old 09-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk off to a good start

Here is the other

Old 09-04-2006, 05:03 PM

congrats, hope I get mine!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Elkcrazy8,

So the feast continues. Congrats on the elk, hopefully you get that big bull tied down love to see the pics of that one. I leave out friday for a week with one client and two the following week. Life is fun in the field.

Forgot to say that is one big bodied spike.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good job on the kills. We've gotten shut out so far. Last weekend, I witnessed a guy, first time he hunted with us, miss three bulls, IN ONE DAY!!! And wouldn't ya know it, since then, we haven't gotten an elk into range, although that "guy" isn't hunting with us any more, I am starting to wonder if anyone is going to kill this year.
It's really gotten hot in our area and the elk have really shut down. We heard zero bugles yesterday and this morning. The only two elk we called in this long weekend, both came in silent!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes cherokee, the feast continues. I need to get it all done before the cold weather sets in. I love bowhunting and am growing less fond of the cold each year. Good luck with the cleints.

Howler, hang in there, it will happen. The bulls were on and off again. Most of the elk that we called in were in the middle of the day, between 11:00 or so and around 4:00 with action picking up good in the last hours of daylight. The bulls weren't bugling much on their own and only a couple showed signs of being fired up after working on them a little with a couple of old tricks. Old growler was the most pi$$ed off and hit me with 12-15 gut wrenching bugles on the way in.

This is the third time in 2 years that I called this bull in. This time he came in like a cagey old white-tail buck. His nose was to the ground and he would pick up his head fast to catch the wind and check for something watching him. I guess that I will try again. Hopefully next time, it will be the time. There are several other good p&y bulls using this areathat may fall prey to the trusty Hoyt also. I can be picky, but I do have limits too.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:57 PM

I leave the 15th to go to Colorado .......... last 9 days of the season should be on FIRE !
Old 09-04-2006, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is anything like Idaho now, everything here is literaly on FIRE. I breathed in smoke all week.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrates Elkcrazy8,hope you get that big one.
It's smokey here to,had a great weekend didn't tag a bull but passed on several small ones waiting for a good one.Man is it hot,should be going around a week.
BBJ
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

Chad, congrats on another successful hunt!! I'll try & call you soon!!

ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Elk off to a good start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.