Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Rut

Old 08-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default Elk Rut

any of you guys out in colorado seeing any good elk rut action? i'll be heading that way with my huntingparty on friday. can't wait
Old 08-27-2006, 05:20 PM

Default RE: Elk Rut

Rut has not started yet.I was out this morning doing some scouting in the Rampart Range area. Talked to a couple of bow hunters who said they had not heard any bugling but had seen several elk.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:55 PM

I was out the last two days in the Medicine Bow mountains (southern Wyoming) and no bugling yet. Still alittle early. The elk have or are just ridding their antlers of the velvet and they kind of shut down for a few days. This early in the season, I might suggest cow calling more than bugleing. And sit on wallows if you can find them. The elk take time to "get their voice back" and they haven't even started so if you go in sounding like the bull of the woods, they'll know who you are, and where you are, and they won't be there.

Good luck. They'll start heating up in the next 10 days so keep your head on a swivel cause they'll come in silent more times than not.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heading in at 1:00 am, I expect to hear bugling as usual. The oldest cows are already breeding.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

What is this season looking like in Idaho, a typical rut or early? I'm heading over to hunt the Panhandleon the 17th, so hopefully they will be talking and responding to calls. My partner was out scoutingover the weekend up around Clarkia, and he didn'thear any bugling.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

We called in 4 bulls last Sunday, all 4 were out of velvet, two of them were with cows. One bull was very vocal, but the others were not. This next weekend should be good, looks like it will be cool again, with a chance of more moisture. We hunted in the Frasier/Grandby area!
Old 08-30-2006, 12:01 AM

yeah i am hunting the panhandle, i don't usually hear bugling until around the 14th or so, and then from there it takes off. But who knows, i have heard bugles at all time of the year, even in june to december!
Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, headed to Idaho in 2 weeks myself. Can't wait, let me know if you local guys start seeing or hearing the rut starting. Went to a seminar a few weeks ago and the speaker said the elk rutpeaks around the 8th of Sept. and then there is a lull when most of the cows have been bread and are looking hard for cows around the 15th (our opening day). Should be fun to hunt the rut with a rifle!!