Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk/Deer Rifle

Old 08-19-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Elk/Deer Rifle

After the archery deer hunt this year I'm going to go out and try to take my first Elk during the rifle hunt. I've shot rifles all my life, but hunting with one will be a new thing for me. I'm looking for recomendations for a good caliber rifle for taking deer or elk. I'd prefer to buy one the would be effective for both should I decide to take a year off here and there from the bow hunt.

Old 08-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk/Deer Rifle

One of the .300 Magnums will be your best bet. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

300 win mag, 300 wsm, 7 mm rem mag, 3006...would begreat place to start. Of course their are many others but all of these are plentiful in both rifles and bullet/factory ammo selection.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no "perfect" gun for both jobs, but the beauty is that you don't really have to make the choice. A gun is really not that big of an investment in the scheme of hunting costs when they last a lifetime. If you want to get one gun that can do both now, I would opt for the 7mm mag or the 300 win mag. Then you can buy the perfect deer gun later (that is a 270 by the way).
Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 AM

I'd go for 28 caliber(7mm) minimum. This is because of the bullet construction you get with that size bullet that suits both deer and elk well, not so much the power output. 280, the 7mm mags, 7mm-08, 7mm mauser, and the slew of 30 cals from 308 on up to 300 ultra mag.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

270, 7mm-08,280, 308, 30-06,7MM Mag and 300 Win Mag. Any one of these can and has been used with great results for Elk and Deer and most all other NA big game. You could add the 260, 7X57, and 6.5x55 although rifles in these calibers are not as plentiful.

The 270 may offer the most potential with the least recoil.
Old 08-20-2006, 12:19 PM

In my opinion, you will want to carry 25 caliber or larger for elk. Anything from a 25-06 to a .340 weatherby will be ideal for elk. In my opinion, the .340 weatherby is a bit large for whitetail, not to mention a slightly heavy price to pay on recoil..(JUST FOR DEER).In my opinion, (why would I use a .340 for deer when the 30-30 will get it done. )

But in your case, you will want a gun that will effectively kill both whitetails and elk. You still have many choices. I would honestly put the minimum at the 25 caliber mark. ( THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT A 243 OR 22 centerfires CANNOT OR NEVER HAVE KILLED ELK, BECAUSE IN CERTAIN INSTANCES,THEY HAVE BEEN CLAIMED TO WORK WELL IN THE PAST. AND SOME PEOPLE WILL STILL CONTINUE TO USE THEMIN THE FUTURE.)

Any firearm in its own right and capabilities has the ability to kill almost any animal in North America. This however doesn't excuse the facts that(WE) taking part in beingAmerica's conservationist and ethical hunters, should use a firearm that will leave "questionable results "on certain animals. For instance, I wouldn't purposely go out hunting for grizzly bears with a .22 caliber. Not because I don't think there is a chance of me killing the bear with this caliber, But because I think there would be a greater chance of him killing me.

The idea of using the right choice of calibers for your game should not be just based on the fact of our own protection, but also making clean and ethical shots as well. We should want to harvest the game we hunt, not just wound it so it might suffer a longer death than it should have if we had chosen the right caliber.

Also knowing (our own limits) with certain cartridges is important. Using bullets large enough for the game we hunt,but also being able to shoot them effectively and ( ACCURATELY)
What good would it be to buy a magnum cartridge if we can't shoot well with it? It would be just like going in the woods undergunned. Bothmethods would be ineffective. One would yeild using cartridges too weak for "garaunteed kills". The other would yeild no harvest as well, due to usinga cartridgethat cause people to obtain bad shooting skills because of theirheavy recoilsand loud muzzle blast.

THERE IS NO GUN THAT IS THE BEST FOR EITHER ONE OF THESE GAME ANIMALS. THE VERY BEST GUN THAT YOU CAN BRING WITH YOU TO HUNT WITH (IS THE GUN YOU SHOOT THE BEST)

CALIBER SIZE WILL NOT MAKE UP FOR POOR SHOT PLACEMENTS.

My suggestions would be 25-06, 257 weatherby, 264 win. , 270 win , 280, 7mm rem mag., 30 -06 , 308.

These rounds are plenty powerfull enough to kill elk and deer within their proper limits. ( INSIDE 300 YDS, A BIT MORE OR LESS)

With that being said, you could even use 250 savage, 257 roberts, 300 savage, 7mm 08, or even a 30-30. But I would take very special care with the ranges you decide to shoot at.

I am not a huge fan of the magnums because, (from what I see), not many people can shoot them very well. But if you are familiar with the magnums and can shoot them well, the 7mm ultra mag, 7mm stw, 300 win mag, 300 ultra mag, 300 weatherby, 300 h&h, 338 win, 340 weatherby would also be great choices. (PROVIDED YOU CAN SHOOT THEM WELL) These rounds will get you out in the farther distances.

Know your gun, get good shooting it, and know its limits as well as your own ; and no matter what caliber you choose ( WITHIN REASON) you will do fine.

GOOD LUCK HUNTING.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Having taken a fair number of elk with cartridges from the 257wby to the 338x8mmremmag,my opinion is that the ideal elk cartridges start at the 7mmremmag.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 PM

just get a 30-06
Old 08-20-2006, 03:36 PM

Ah, you've opened up a can of worms dmacl. I believe you asked for ONE cal that would be good for both deer and/or elk. So I won't list 6 or 7.
What do we need from a deer/elk round? Weight of bullet, and powder to push it flat at distances. I agree with the U.S. Army Sniper School, 7.62mm is my round of choice. That's the .300 Win Mag!
A lot of guys will say it's too much gun for a small game like deer. Or, it kicks too hard! I say, TOO BAD!. Take one for the team. When you're drawing down on a trophy or at least dinner, you're not thinking about kick. I shoot Antelope, Bear, Deer(s), Elk, Moose, everything with it. (I might go bigger if I ever draw a Buffalo taq.)
No doubt the .300 WM has the balistics to shoot flat at distance (150 - 180 gr), but an even more important choice is the bulletchoice. For the smaller game, I like a balistic tip bullet because it opens quickly to do damage (not a lot of skin/bone to run into).Abullet like the Remington core lokt will in all likelyhood pass through with little or no expansion. For bigger game, I go with something like the Nosler Partition in 180 gr. Has good penetration without disintigrating.
A common falicy is that a big gun will tear up a small animal. Just not true.
I used to think so too, until I witnessed a client shooting an average size mulie with a .338 Win Mag! Didn't tear it up at all. And it was a shoulder shot. We (the guides and outfitter) no longer ragged anybody for bringing too much gun.
Obviously I don't have enough to do on a Sunday afternoon . . . so let me finish with this advise: Buy a decent .300 WM, GOOD optics, and spend your money on a variety of ammo, not guns.

Quick Reply: Elk/Deer Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.