Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CO 4WD Roads question?

Old 08-22-2006, 05:22 PM

Default RE: CO 4WD Roads question?

I hunted Colorado back in the 70's. Some roads can be hazardous, if it rains or snows. Best ask the locals in the closest town & they mightgive you agood idea what it's like. Take a electric Winch (one that mounts to your truck). One time going across an open ridge slanted a little to the left. I thought it was best to get out of the wheel ruts (Young & dumb thing at that time to do). Lucky that my right wheel stayed in the rut, because I started going down towards the canyon. In some places the mud is like snot & will not let you go in a straight line (no matter what you do).
Old 08-22-2006, 10:35 PM

Default RE: CO 4WD Roads question?

To be honest. I hunted in area 15 in october and it snowed 3 days into the hunt. Play it safe. you have a 4x4 but your rearend has almost no weight and you are going to spin tires in snow no matter what kind of tires you have. Invest into tire chains for FRONT and REAR! Its better to spend a little extra $$ than to be stuck out in the middle of no where. Our f250 looks at 8" of snow and gets stuck lol. But the main thing is, a pickup and no weight in the back and chains are needed in snow and mud. I hope you take my advice and buy chains for front and rear. I hate to read something like this and then find out later on thatyou got stuck and had to walk a few miles in bone chilling weather to ask for help. We've had to use tires chains on all of our 4 wheel drives expect out 92 isuzu rodeo. But hey, when the thing weighs over 4000lbs and has weight on the back, its like driving a tank and we never needed chains yet. But just incase, there are 2 sets in the back. You never know what kind of weather you will run into. And all of us that hunt up north know how fast the weather can change. So please take my advice and buy 4 tire chains. And good luck hunting.

Jon