Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How do you hunt bear w/ out bait? >

How do you hunt bear w/ out bait?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you hunt bear w/ out bait?

Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you hunt bear w/ out bait?

How do you hunt black bear when you can't use bait? I would be using a muzzleloader. Any tips?

Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 AM

Default RE: How do you hunt bear w/ out bait?

Iv'e been trying to figure that out for the last couple of years. We have just been still hunting them. So far no luck. But we did take one while deer hunting(go figure) that we just luckily stumbled upon. I have been hunting an area thats just littered with fresh bear sign and havent even seen one yet. They are pretty damn smart. I think mostly nocturnal too. I feel like I've been hunting big foot or something. Hell, I might have better luck hunting bigfoot, lol.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Nothing from experience, but I've seen plenty of shows where the just walk logging trails and catch them out in the open.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

Bear drives. Get in the thick stuff and get'em up and moving. our group has killed 12 in the past 11 years here in PA. Got my first on this year. wish i would have shot it a little later in the day though being a dog in the mountains on every drive sure kicks your butt
Old 06-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: tenpnt

hunt the edges of corn feild or apple orchards also clear cuts and spot and stalk.
I've been looking into this as well. My understanding is that you hunt them like you would deer. Scout, Track, Stalk or go to natures bait and watch food sources for the bears. Your scouting sould key you in to main food sources in the area you find sign.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 PM

Sharp Shooter, what state do you plan on doing this in? I have done it in Maine. email me if you want.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

The bears will be where the food is. Where ever you live go to where they feed. Like here it's blueberrie patches.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

6 times with bait
Old 06-16-2006, 04:16 PM

WE hunt bears all the time here in BC without bait. On Vancouver Island we drive and glass, and walk. They are generally out in the morning for a spell before it gets too warm, 9 -10 are prime, although I've seen good bears later, and then in the evening they browse. I don't know where you live, but here we cruise logging roads and look for clear cuts that are grown up about 3 to 5 years old and have good older growth cover nearby for bedding. These cutshost lots of lush green growth that the bears love. You can spot bears feeding in the pretty easy in them once you've done it for a while. As well older overgrown spurs have lush grass growing on them and the bears love them.We'll find snapped off young alder trees along these roads where boars have marked their territories. Breeding season is winding down, but a few weeks back the boars were more visible as they walk the roads in search of a love rug. Remember their noses are the best, and they'll pick you up a long way away, so watch out for tight hills and swirling winds.

Later in the summer/fall you can find them in and around berry patches of all sorts, but they are more noctural due to the heat and harder to spot in the higher growth. The best way then is to ambush them on trails to and from old growth coverage to feeding areas. Harder to differeniate between sows and boars when they are fatter later in the year as well. Good luck.

Quick Reply: How do you hunt bear w/ out bait?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.