Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Your view on elk

Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Your view on elk

I was wondering, from those of you who hunt elk religiously, what your views are on the size of an elk. For exampleI hunt whitetails here in IN for 3 months a year and have taken several bucks in the 130-160 class. I would rather shoot a doe than an average buck and let it grow. I know you can't really compare the two (deer vs elk)and I would never chastise or fault a person for shooting a little buck, but was wondering if that was also the common view for elk hunters. As for me I would be estatic to shoot any legal bull because I'm rarely afforded the oppurtunity to do so. Just curious.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your view on elk

I hunt elk every year, but I still only get to hunt them for a week or two, plus elk ranges vary so much. Just like a 120 class deer is a monster in one place, it is an average buck somewhere else,elk are no different.Some areas are hunted a lotso there aren't a bunch of mature satellite bulls runningaround.For example,there is a guy that hunts in the same camp I do and he hunts the entire CO elk season every year, and his goal every year is to take a legal (4 point) bull. He is a good hunter and an excellent shot, so that pretty much tells me I better not be picky. I shoot the first legal elk I can, cow or bull unless of course I pass on a cow with a bull coming up behind her or something like that. A little legalrag horn with cows I would shoot a cow instead, but if it is him or nada, he is getting an arrow flung at him. I need meat for the freezer afterall.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 AM

It really would have depend on the area and another factor is hunting time. Some otc areas in CO you may have to settle for a 5x5 as a legitimate representation of "mature" in that area. In New Mexico where my buddy guides and hunts if it is less than a 300 6x6 they let it pass.

If you are travelling and only giving yourself 4 or 5 days to take an animal, anything legal may be a realistic goal.

In my mind, 270 inches starts to "look real good" but I'd be happy as hell with smaller onmy archery tripto CO this fall.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 PM

I also think it depends on the area and time of the year. I know that here in alberta if its during the rut settling for a small 3x3 is almost a sin because there are usually always a big bull around with some cows and that 3x3 is probably a loner. But if the rut is over and legal bull you get a chance to shot take it because by then the elk have become smart and very elusive. So once again it all depends on the time of season and where you live but for your first bull i say the first legal on you see shot.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:08 PM

Every person has to make that decision for themselves. We have customers who come into camp and they will say they are trophy hunting and will shoot the first bull they see. Now I have had other clients pass on 350 bulls because they were not big enough for them. Where we guide in Montana and Idaho any bull over 300 class is almost always a goner. If a bull has good mass and is a 6 by 6 or better, I start whispering "shoot, shoot, shoot.", unless the hunter has specifically stated they are looking for something really big.

Elk are not too hard to judge in the field, look for the front tines to come out past the nose and long back tines and you have a real monster on your hands. I ask all of my clients to look at alot of pictures and review thier bugle magazines to look at big bulls before they come out to go hunting.

Every animal is a trophy and an honor to hunt regardless of the size of the animal. I remember every animal I have ever taken, and each one is a memory that will last a lifetime. My favorite trophy of all that I have taken is a young 5 point whitetail that I shot with my son by my side.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

The area I hunt is 6 point minimum only. I have taken bulls t.hat scored from 250 to 320. Normally I look for 300 min net
Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Fork Horn

Every animal is a trophy and an honor to hunt regardless of the size of the animal. I remember every animal I have ever taken, and each one is a memory that will last a lifetime. My favorite trophy of all that I have taken is a young 5 point whitetail that I shot with my son by my side.

CTO, I could hunt with you. Well said. Larry
Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll kill what ever is legal animal God gives me. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any elk is a trophy in my book, sure we all want a big record book 6x6 bull but the fact of the matter is they don'tlive behind every tree. In the area I bowhunt now in eastern Idaho, a bull is lucky to reach 300 a very few if any reach 350 but there are a lot of elk and no wolves. It hasfew bowhunters because it has ageneral rifle bull season in October. Thats the reason why the bulls don't get to grow very big becase they get killed off by rifle huntes. The area I uses to hunt and sill love has huge bulls. But it now has many wolves, few rifle hunters but a lot of bowhunters. As a result the bulls are very call shy, sure the few bulls that are their can and do grow very big. But hunting this new wolfless area is like a breath of fresh air. The bulls and cows talk and bugle like normal because they aren't afraid a wolf will come running in attracted by the noise. Anyway for each and every elk taken with a bow its truly a trophy no matter how big or what sex it is. Oh and by the way all elk are big compared to deer, but the smaller ones sure do taste better!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 PM

i live and hunt in colorado. if the DOW is issuing alot of cow and either sex tags, they are doing it for good reason. the last two years i have drawn a either sex tag and harvested small to medium size cows. i have also drawn the same for this year. i hunt alone sence my Dad retired and moved outta state. retreiving an elk is difficult, and i have a family to feed. i won't hold out for a bull. i think its good for the herd to harvest cow's. and its also good for me.

early

Quick Reply: Your view on elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.