Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou help

Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Caribou help

Hey guys, I have a Caribou hunt booked with True North Safaris, last week of September 2006.
Has anyone ever hunted with them? Has anyone ever hunted caribou in the NWT?
Any hints on what to expect and what to take with me would be greatly appreciated Also any thoughts about traveling with guns would help. It’s our first fully guided trip.
Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-28-2006, 10:18 AM

Default RE: Caribou help

I have hunted in the NWT for caribou, with Arctic Safaris, same general area as you are going to. By the last week you will want warm clothes, gloves and hat. Up there the wind ALWAYS blows, so make sure you have wind blocking clothing. We did a lot of walking, but some did not. So, your footwear is your choice in that area, but again I'd go with something that is waterproof, and breathable. They don't get a lot of rain there, but it could snow in that week. I wouldn't worry about bugs that late, we were there the first week of Sept and saw very few. As far as travelling with guns, your outfitter should be able to supply you with the forms to have filled out ahead of hitting customs. Make sure your ammo is packed (not in carry on) separate from your guns, and if it is a bolt action the bolt is removed and packed separate. Hard cases airline approved cases for on flight, and check with your outfitter on whether or not he wants you to bring soft cases (ours did not). Good luck, I hope this helps a bit. If I can answer any more ?? feel free to PM me.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:08 PM

Tanya, thanks for getting back to me. Since I live in Calgary, I assume I wont need paper work for the guns. But thanks for the heads up on the bolt. I am not sure how much walking we will be doing since my Dad is comming with me and his knees are pretty beat up. Would you take FELT pack type boots?
Thanks
Jamie
Old 05-29-2006, 08:57 AM

Jamie, sorry didn't realize you were a Canuck. I would ask your outfitter how he would deal with your Dad's situation. I know some of the older fellows when we were there simply were taken by boat to crossings on the river and hunted there rather than walking much. If you are going to be static then feltpacks likely would be fine, but I wouldn't want to walk much in them. The ground is very uneven, up and down eskers, and much of it, when not on rockis like walking on sponge, so good support is needed.

We live on Vancouver Island and drove up to Yellowknife in a couple of days, you may want to do that if you haven't ever made that trip, and want to avoid the whole airline thing. Likely from Calgary, one night in High Level, and your are in Yellowknife the next. Also easier to bring back the antlers. And, it's kinda cool seeing all the bison on the road into Yellowknife.