Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk season dates & the full moon phase >

Elk season dates & the full moon phase

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk season dates & the full moon phase

Old 05-25-2006, 08:39 AM

Default Elk season dates & the full moon phase

I talked to a couple of people about the full moon being the preffered week I like to hunt Co this year.
I was wonder the general opinion on what you other Archery guys are planning on doing as far as which weeks and or how you change your hunting tactics?

How many guys here will change there plans because of it?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk season dates & the full moon phase

Full moon was the reason we put in for first rifle instead on Muzzleloader!
Only thing worse than hunting during the full moon, is not hunting at all! On the positive side, maybe they will be in full blown "love mode", in which case they pattern to seemingly stupid ways that those of us males are all too familiar!!!!

Ever wonder if some of those bugles from the bulls are actually denials? Such as "no, I didn't get drunk on alder wine last night and end up with that fat cow!"

Good luck and let us know how you did.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Unless you can hunt after sundown I would not ever want to hunt during a full moon again. Last year I let my cousin plan the hunt and we only saw elk in the open once the hole week. It was a full moon and it was very bad hunting. Wait unit about 3-5days past the full moon if you can.

If you are stuck hunting during the full moon be sure to hunt in the dark timber where the elk hide all day. Good luck on your hunt. Jovan
Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll hunt cool/cold weather with full moon before I hunt dark moon warm weather!!

The weather has more to do with elk activity than the moon phase does. IMO for what it's worth!!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Amen, Howler. I personally would as soon worry about whether my horoscope is favorable for hunting as the moon phase.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:01 PM

I could care less about moon phases. Your knowledge of how the animals are reacting to range conditions, hunting pressure, the rut, the weather, ect. is all you need to know. Hunting moon phases is a superstition and nothing else IMO.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with good hunting full moon or not. I have killed several bulls during full moon cycle in the middle of the day. Warm weather will pose more of a threat than anything. An elks vision is not like ours. They can still get around and feed at night whether it is full moon or not. Weather however WILL dictate how they move about and when they do there biggest amount of activity. The warmer it is, the more they will stay put in the dark timber next to a spring and a little food.........
Old 05-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Does the full moon effect elk activity? Of course it does! But the elk don't dissapear! But if the days of the full moon are heavy overcast or rainy, well there goes the full moon! Elk will behave normally for the time of the year! Pre-rut--peak rut--post rut.

The difference with elk at the full moon cycle that many notice is their activity level during early morning hours. Elk have been very active all night long at this time, they hit their beds usually no more than an hour after light! Thus, their lack of activity, unless you're in very close!

But, elk at this time become very active from 11:00 am--3:00pm if you're in camp or where the elk aren't, tough luck! As Elkcrazy8 says you must look for them near or in the dark timber, especially if the conditions are hot! Waterholes/wallows are a great bet at this time, if the full moon hits closer to pre-rut, then bulls aren't nearly as vocal as if the cycle was during peak-rut time where bulls can become very vocal during midday & evening.

So be near those water sources midday & late evening, the ones closest to bedding areas are the ones you want, not the water sources nearest feeding areas. Those won't get hit by elk till after dark! I will say when elk are active all night & they do get out of their beds to feed & water midday & late evening this is a huge time they seek out the wallow areas!

Bring your treestand, do some splashing, it will payoff better than running & gunning at this time!

ElkNut1

Old 05-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

1. The definition of moon "phases" includes the full moon cycle. If you don't believe animals are influenced then you are uneducated and I won't waste any time trying to do so here.
2. My comment earlier was not intended to suggest that during the full moon we should all lift up our skirts and go home. Question was "does it have an effect in your opinion"? Yes, as with any animal it can have a tremendous effect. Those of you suggesting weather is more important, I believe you said "warm weather"? If it's really warm AND afull moon, guess when the cool loving animal's activity is going to be at it's peak? Yep, during the night when it's "cooler"! As suggesting by those with a working knowledge, the effect is most noticable in how the patterns change as the morning and evening forays become nonexistent. But as with all animals, they still need water and cannot go all day with out. This brings the middle of the day in to play and once again the full moon has had an effect.

Not suggesting it is the only factor, but to dismiss it is just as much a mistake as dismissing the weather, rut, etc. and the effects they have on patterns. All things being equal, if I get the choice of when to hunt, will be other than during the full moon. But if that is when the season falls, then make note and adjust accordingly.
Good luck.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red, I don't see a single post of anyone "dismissing" the moon phases as being a concideration, as a matter of fact, looks like everyone acknowledges the fact that a full moon can have an effect on how/when/where to hunt elk. But since some of us can go elk hunting any time of the season, if there is a chance of cold and snow with the full moon, I for one, will be leaving work early!!

Quick Reply: Elk season dates & the full moon phase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.