HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Spring vs. Fall Bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/142709-spring-vs-fall-bear.html)

DARKSIDE55 05-22-2006 05:59 PM

RE: Spring vs. Fall Bear

Fellows, are we hunting bugs or bears? I live in the heart of Black Fly and Mosquito country. A little spray and they're gone. But I prefer Fall hunting. The bears weigh more, the hides are far superior to Spring and they taste better. Their winter buildup has been expelled and they are full of blueberries and raspberries, at least in my part of the country.

Tanya 05-28-2006 12:08 PM

Definitely each to their own on the taste thing. We prefer less bear fat on the carcass and have found spring bear far more to our taste. It is easier here to differentiate between a boar and sow in the spring for sure, as they all get so fat in the fall, and we prefer to take boars if possible. Late fall we don't even hunt them if they have touched salmon. The rubbing can be a problem, you just need to glass them well if it matters to you. Usually the heads and shoulders aren't bad anyhow.As well, here the bears are gorging in the clear cuts in spring and the boars walk the logging roads in search of females, so encountering a boar is easier in the spring than in fall when they are virtually hidden in the blueberries and salal bushes. The westcoast jungle foliage here on Vancouver Island will hide a very large bear quite easily.

DARKSIDE55 05-28-2006 01:54 PM

Yes, your bear hunting there and mine are so different. If I lived in BC it would probably be a Spring Bear hunt. The only salmon the bears get here are out of a can. LOL. And we only have Blacks here.

Tanya 05-29-2006 08:47 AM

Actually Darkside55, we don't have grizzlies here on Vancouver Island, except for the very rare one that swims island to island from the mainland. The mainland of course is a very different story. Our blacks on the Island are actually genetically closer linked to the grizzly than the blacks on the continent. Our mature boars get a hump similar to a grizz and the body is a bit different, especially in the shoulder area. Even the heads are different in that ours are missing a little piece of bone at the back of the head that the mainland bears have. As well, they only are black, no colour phase ones, although some will have a white blaze on the chest or stomach.

hardcorehunter 05-30-2006 04:21 PM

Nice bear girl...thanks for the facts..interesting.

Deleted User 06-13-2006 09:06 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Matchbook454 06-14-2006 08:03 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I've decided to go on a spring hunt since it looks like they are usually more productive.