HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   Spring vs. Fall Bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/142709-spring-vs-fall-bear.html)

Matchbook454 05-16-2006 08:35 PM

Spring vs. Fall Bear

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? How do success rates vary?

hardcorehunter 05-16-2006 09:20 PM

RE: Spring vs. Fall Bear

Spring the bugs are TERRIBLE and there is the chance that the fur has been rubbed. Look them over before you shoot. The spring coat is usually nicer than a fall coat as long as it hasn't shed and or started rubbing. I think the bears hit the baits a little better in the spring in my experience.....The fall has WAYfewer insects and I think the fishing is better in the fall. Ontario, which has the largest population of bears, doesn't allow spring bear so make sure that spring bear is an option where you want to go. Let's just say that I have been bear hunting6 times and only one of them was in the spring and I would never do a spring hunt again. BUGS EVERYWHERE. BLACK FLIES, TICKS, AND MOSQUITOS .

SCOTT78 05-17-2006 07:29 AM

I think it depends on where you hunt also. Iwent on a spring black bear hunt in alaska last may and didnt have any problem with bugs and shot a nice bear.

Matchbook454 05-17-2006 04:57 PM

Scott78, Where did you hunt in AK and how big of a bear did you get? Did you hunt with an outfitter? I am thinking about doing a DIY hunt up there next year.

SCOTT78 05-18-2006 07:46 AM

I hunted near Ketchikan and i did have a guide. I used Dalin Charters and i had a great time. My bear squared out at 7-4 and the skull is 20". I was talking to my guide and he said the bear i killed is bigger than most of the residents from the town. I asked why is that and he said simple, most of them dont have access to a boat like his. We took an hour boat ride and we were like 35 miles from town and the residents cant get there because there are no roads. So you may want to keep that in mind if you have a boat you can cover alot of ground and see alot of bears

Matchbook454 05-18-2006 06:19 PM

Did you hunt with a rifle or a bow? Do you have info for the Charter/outfitter? Cost, phone number, website, etc,???

SCOTT78 05-18-2006 07:43 PM

I used a 300 weatherby mag and the shot was 90 yards. I could of taken him at 200 but i didnt want it to end that fast and at that time i didnt feel comfortable with that far of a shot. Here is the website

http://www.dalincharters.com/

if there is any more info thats not on the website let me know andi will tell you what i can

Sniper151 05-22-2006 08:25 AM

I prefer fall bear hunts. The coats are thicker, more evenand the bear have put on weight from spring and summer feeding.

hunter_jere 05-22-2006 04:59 PM

if you are hunting for meat go for the spring :Dalmost no fat on them and that makes them almost as easy asbutchering a deer. because if you know what a bear is likein the winter butchering is jsut gross

stubblejumper 05-22-2006 05:32 PM

If you hunt as early as possible in the spring,there are no bugs and the hides have longer hair and are not rubbed.

DARKSIDE55 05-22-2006 05:59 PM

Fellows, are we hunting bugs or bears? I live in the heart of Black Fly and Mosquito country. A little spray and they're gone. But I prefer Fall hunting. The bears weigh more, the hides are far superior to Spring and they taste better. Their winter buildup has been expelled and they are full of blueberries and raspberries, at least in my part of the country.

Tanya 05-28-2006 12:08 PM

Definitely each to their own on the taste thing. We prefer less bear fat on the carcass and have found spring bear far more to our taste. It is easier here to differentiate between a boar and sow in the spring for sure, as they all get so fat in the fall, and we prefer to take boars if possible. Late fall we don't even hunt them if they have touched salmon. The rubbing can be a problem, you just need to glass them well if it matters to you. Usually the heads and shoulders aren't bad anyhow.As well, here the bears are gorging in the clear cuts in spring and the boars walk the logging roads in search of females, so encountering a boar is easier in the spring than in fall when they are virtually hidden in the blueberries and salal bushes. The westcoast jungle foliage here on Vancouver Island will hide a very large bear quite easily.

DARKSIDE55 05-28-2006 01:54 PM

Yes, your bear hunting there and mine are so different. If I lived in BC it would probably be a Spring Bear hunt. The only salmon the bears get here are out of a can. LOL. And we only have Blacks here.

Tanya 05-29-2006 08:47 AM

Actually Darkside55, we don't have grizzlies here on Vancouver Island, except for the very rare one that swims island to island from the mainland. The mainland of course is a very different story. Our blacks on the Island are actually genetically closer linked to the grizzly than the blacks on the continent. Our mature boars get a hump similar to a grizz and the body is a bit different, especially in the shoulder area. Even the heads are different in that ours are missing a little piece of bone at the back of the head that the mainland bears have. As well, they only are black, no colour phase ones, although some will have a white blaze on the chest or stomach.

hardcorehunter 05-30-2006 04:21 PM

Nice bear girl...thanks for the facts..interesting.

Deleted User 06-13-2006 09:06 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Matchbook454 06-14-2006 08:03 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the help. I've decided to go on a spring hunt since it looks like they are usually more productive.